English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 June 2021, 20:53   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Howard The Duck (C64), what a pile of sh*te!

Well It's Friday which means It's a brand new episode of "Shit Game Time"

This week I will be playing and shit-rating Howard The Duck on the C64 and for £9.99 back in 1986, this is such a disgrace

This is a paid request by youtuber "Connor Jones", I hope you enjoy it and would love to hear your thoughts on this game,...if you can call it that.

SGT: Howard The Duck review: [ Show youtube player ]

Full list of SGT reviews across many formats: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fklqwZi6s2J0eh
Old 25 June 2021, 22:12   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

movie was shite too btw. I saw it at 1987 new year's eve with a lot of friends, but it still sucked

Doesn't beat "Bad Cat" vid, but made me smile. I prefer you do the playing. I couldn't stand playing this game for more than 2 minutes.

Last edited by jotd; 25 June 2021 at 22:23.
Old 27 June 2021, 08:51   #3
AmigaHope

I played this game way too much. =P
Old 28 June 2021, 23:57   #4
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Those were the times that people thought if you inject enough cash and special effects in a movie will come out definitely good - spoilers: did not
Old 29 June 2021, 11:34   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Howard the Duck might have been a turd, but I can't help but think that it's existence has taught others to do the concept of a puppet among people better. I'm thinking of Alf for example. Fix one: don't make it look so uncanny valley.
Old 29 June 2021, 13:11   #6
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Howard the Duck might have been a turd, but I can't help but think that it's existence has taught others to do the concept of a puppet among people better. I'm thinking of Alf for example. Fix one: don't make it look so uncanny valley.
Didn't Star Wars: Return of the Jedi do that good enough already? BTW, I've never seen that duck movie.
Old 29 June 2021, 13:45   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

... no? There is no puppet in a family environment in Jedi. A lot of people in suits, or robot cases. That it does have.

You are probably thinking of the Ewoks (little people in suits), but they were mostly good for merchandising. Let me put it differently: you can't tell me that you ever said "Let me pop in Jedi to watch those cute Ewoks!"
Old 29 June 2021, 17:32   #8
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Let me put it differently: you can't tell me that you ever said "Let me pop in Jedi to watch those cute Ewoks!"
No, especially since an update to them involved giving them horrible dead-looking eyes in close-ups.

But I will say I popped in Jedi for the AWESOME Battle of Endor, with the three threaded subplots.

I meant to say that ROTJ had excessive puppetry in the first act with Jabba, especially Jabba himself who was the biggest puppet in Star Wars of the time, operated by almost a dozen people. But as for Howard the Duck, I've never seen that movie, just clips, so I don't get an overall impression of how good (or bad) the puppetry was.
Old 29 June 2021, 19:12   #9
kriz

Howard the Duck as a movie rulez btw A classic for me that is for sure
Old 30 June 2021, 21:58   #10
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Howard the Duck as a movie rulez btw A classic for me that is for sure
I tried HARD to like that one but despite the good (ILM) special effects, it feel kinda fragmented