English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 June 2022, 20:52   #1
dreadnought

SCART adapter for 1085 D2 monitor?

So I have finally bought a real Commodore monitor, the 1085-D2. i would like to connect it to some other stuff than Amiga, as I have a lot of platforms which output to RGB SCART. Does anybody know schematics/pinouts for an VGA-Female SCART adapter like this one here?
Old 02 June 2022, 02:11   #2
Matt_H

Well, it's not a VGA connector - it's 9-pin. But why not just use the linked adapter?
Old 02 June 2022, 10:41   #3
dreadnought

Because the seller is in UK and I'm not. I had to buy BBC Micro cable from them not long ago, and ended up paying nearly 3x the original price of ~10GBP, what with customs, delivery, and taxes.

If I had the schematics I could ask a local guy to do it for me for a fraction of the price.
Old 02 June 2022, 14:18   #4
jbilander

The SCART pinout is a standard, it can carry Composite, S-Video or RGB, so you can check the pinout link below for RGB-mode.
http://martin.hinner.info/vga/scart.html

Also check Stedy's Original SCART cable diagram on how to wire things RGB + Csync:
http://ianstedman.co.uk/amiga-scart-guide/

For the female 9-pin D-sub (DE9F) conn input, I think you can follow the 1084S-D1 manual, page 21 (Analog input):
https://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/mon...ice_Manual.pdf

or here

https://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/mon...UK-ScanOCR.pdf

Hope it helps!
Old 02 June 2022, 21:02   #5
dreadnought

Great, thanks for the links mate! That 1085S manual is a nice find, somehow I missed it when I was looking at that page.

So the DB9 pinout seems the same as 1084, sand the digital stuff. I also found this page, which describes how to connect PS2 to 1084. Following their pin write up I came up with this:

DB9 - SCART
4..........11 - G
3..........15 - R
5...........7 - B
7..........20 - CVBS / CSync
1,2.......5,9,13,17 -Video GND
Shield....21 -shield

Do you think this makes sense? I have no clue about electronics, so I'm just copying stuff. Would FEMALE scart (the one I need) have different pinout than a male Scart?
Old 03 June 2022, 13:17   #6
jbilander

No problem. Yes that wiring looks correct, optionally you can also add the audio L/R in the same cable (pin 2,4,6) similar to the adapter you linked in your first post, or you could have a separate cable for audio.
Regarding your question about pinout. Pin (Hole) 1 in the socket mates with contact pin 1 in the plug, 2 with 2, 3 with 3 and so on..., so you only need to follow the pin-numbering when soldering and it will be correct, but of course you need to locate where pin 1 is.

Here is a pic of the female connector. Now if you turn it to the solder side. 180 degrees, pin 1 will be in the down-left corner. So it depends from which side you look at the connector

And yes there is no problem to wire all the Video GNDs together. They're all the same GND anyway. For example take a look at the PCB of the A500 D-sub DB23 connector shows pin 13, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 are all connected to same GND on the PCB. Also the connectors metal shield is connected to GND on the Amiga. However it can be good to use many wires for GND (or a thick one) so you get a good grounding and also internally separate shielded wires for the RGB + Csync inside the cable is preferable.

Last edited by jbilander; 03 June 2022 at 13:38.
Old 05 June 2022, 18:31   #7
dreadnought

Many thanks again for your tips, @jbilander, much appreciated! I think now I know enough to pass this info to my cable guy. Problem is I have to first try to translate it into Polish and hope for the best - he makes good cables, but also doesn't really know anything about the subject or has the hardware to test it, so sometimes it's hit and miss.

I finally got that monitor too, managed to hook it up to an MSX via composite - probably only PAL capable machine I have cables for. Good news is that it works, the snag is a slight image tilt. Guess this is the internal adjustment - yoke territory, something I'm rather scared of, so am a bit stuck atm. Probably should try and track down a surviving CRT tech in my area...