English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 March 2010, 06:53   #1
imstarryeyed

Bizarre CD32 SX-1 Expansion Question

Greetings I have a weird question that I wanted to see if any of you very knowledgeble folks may be able to answer.

I recently got the itch to get back into my Amiga's again and started to pull out my CD32 stuff. To my dismay my old SX-1 CD32 Expansion box was gutted and I only was able to find the mainboard and the bottom of the metal case.

The backpane/connector piece appears to have been tossed out by some Doof (Phineas & Ferb reference) of a person so I am left with just one question.

Do any of you owners of the SX-1 know if the backpane piece is absolutely required to use this? Do you know if the backpiece is just a passthough or did it have necessary circuitry necessary to function?

Since I am sure finding this piece is impossible...

Do you know if it would work if I were able to find to connectors from the internet and solder up a connection piece?

If my remember correctly the backpane allowed the SX-1 to connect to the CD32 and connect the FMV card, since I dont need to connect my FMV card I wonder if there is a solution that I can craft or find?

Thank you so much for any help you may be able to give on this bizarre question. I would just hate to toss out the main SX-1 board for something that can be created if possible.

(I posted this on Amiga.org as well in hopes maybe someone might know this weird answer?, but I am not really counting on it..)

Old 12 March 2010, 09:28   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstarryeyed View Post
Do any of you owners of the SX-1 know if the backpane piece is absolutely required to use this?
Only from a physical point of view. The SX-1 board is a PCB edge and the CD32 expansion is also a PCB edge. Without the backplane board there is no way of connecting the two together.

Quote:
did it have necessary circuitry necessary to function?
Pretty sure that it was passive.

Quote:
Do you know if it would work if I were able to find to connectors from the internet and solder up a connection piece?
You'll struggle to find the 182-pin MCA (VESA) connectors online for under £1000 because you'll have to order 100 units or so. I know I tried several years ago. If you are a VERY VERY good at blagging then you could MAYBE get 1 or 2 free samples from a company who manufactures them, such as http://www.adam-tech.com/.

Even then you'd have to make your own PCB.

Last edited by alexh; 12 March 2010 at 09:37.
Old 12 March 2010, 09:51   #3
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Only from a physical point of view. The SX-1 board is a PCB edge and the CD32 expansion is also a PCB edge. Without the backplane board there is no way of connecting the two together.

Pretty sure that it was passive.

You'll struggle to find the 182-pin MCA (VESA) connectors online for under £1000 because you'll have to order 100 units or so. I know I tried several years ago. If you are a VERY VERY good at blagging then you could MAYBE get 1 or 2 free samples from a company who manufactures them, such as http://www.adam-tech.com/.

Even then you'd have to make your own PCB.
I did a search online, they are available from Asian countries, I emailed but no reply, do a search for MCA 182 pin
Old 12 March 2010, 10:21   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
I did a search online, they are available from Asian countries, I emailed but no reply, do a search for MCA 182 pin
I started a project to hard solder mine, but I got it mixed up and killed it, and it took out my CD32 too, .

I realised after that the connector is reversed via the inter-connecting board. Lesson learnt the hard way. I cant believe I got it reversed as I spent hours tracing each track, lol.

I may still have the connector at home some where.
Old 12 March 2010, 10:24   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
I did a search online, they are available from Asian countries, I emailed but no reply
Most of the websites which advertise them are distributors for Adam-tech. But they do not hold stock. They make them to order. Hence the large MOQ (Minimum order quantity) to cover tooling costs.
Old 12 March 2010, 10:33   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

That said, I think they have some on Digi-Key at $4 each.
Old 12 March 2010, 11:24   #7
Loedown

Quote:
Yay, I win
Old 12 March 2010, 13:25   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You only win if someone is able to successfully buy some.
Old 12 March 2010, 13:28   #9
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
If! they do hows about some cheap memory upgrades
Old 12 March 2010, 14:22   #10
Loedown

Quote:
You only win if someone is able to successfully buy some.
I do my best to assist the community, like you.
Old 12 March 2010, 17:28   #11
imstarryeyed

Thank you all so much for your insight, I sent FOL a PM to inquire if he/she may still have the connector.

Worst case scenario is that I may try to use it on some tower or case mod project assuming I can find out the correct signals as FOL spoke of.