English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 23 August 2003, 22:31   #1
Frootloop

R/C Aerochopper

I never saw this before. It's an R/C plane and helicopter simulator which includes a radio controller!

eBay Auction

It retailed for $229 U.S. Apparently the simulator program is useless without the controller so the disk is in no way copy protected. I assume it's very rare since most it's a niche product and very expensive at that.
Old 23 August 2003, 23:07   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Ripoff!

If it's the same program I'm thinking of, there was a demo of it on Amiga Format 18 - the one with Vaxine given away (full game). It was a rolling demo so you couldn't play it but it went through various helicopters and planes drawn as vector graphics. There were no background graphics from memory and I do not think it is worth $229 US!

If you really want to fly an RC helicopter or plane I suggest you play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as that has a pretty realistic helicopter in it - quite difficult to master the controls using keys but this would be similar to a real helicopter I guess...
Old 23 August 2003, 23:25   #3
Amiga1992

I think I heard about this, it's bloody brilliant!
Old 24 August 2003, 00:17   #4
Dizzy
Pirate

We had it before in a thread. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...oto=nextoldest
Old 24 August 2003, 01:26   #5
FromWithin
Music lord

If this is the one I'm thinking of, they've got in the Science Museum here in London. If you go there, go to the aerodynamics bit with all the stuff you can play with.
Old 24 August 2003, 12:32   #6
Frootloop

I just downloaded the rolling demo here and wasn't very impressed with the graphics engine. They look like something a ZX Spectrum could easily do. Maybe it's fun to control.

Old 24 August 2003, 15:46   #7
Amiga1992

WOO!

r0x

NOT
Old 24 August 2003, 17:42   #8
FromWithin
Music lord

Yes, that's the one. In the Science Museum, you control it with two analog joysticks.

It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it flies right. Helicopters are swines to fly and it's much better training on this progr before crashing your new £300 r/c helicopter on your first flight.

Best helicopter simulation I've tried is on X-Plane. It's very impressive with a big fat Sidewinder joystick. And very hard to control. X-Plane models proper air dynamics to get things to fly, so the physical model is very close to the real thing.
Old 24 August 2003, 18:02   #9
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Gotta agree with FromWithin on this, as I've watched my mate crash £400 worth of helicopter more than several times, before managing to master take-off, go up, go down, land! He still can't do much else, so this trainer would be damed usefull.

I assume it plugs into the joystick ports, and therefore wouldn't be too hard to mock up with an old R/ controler... Anyone know about this?
Old 24 August 2003, 18:18   #10
Frootloop

The demo says the modified controller connects to the Amiga's serial port.
Old 24 August 2003, 21:43   #11
cv643d

I remember that. It was available for Atari ST to. I local hobby shop had an Atari ST set up with it for people to play with. It was meant local hobby groups would buy one and then they could train.
Old 26 August 2003, 21:25   #12
Syko

Quote:
The demo says the modified controller connects to the Amiga's serial port.
Bugger!

Still, shouldn't be too difficult to work it out - if anyone's got one...
Old 27 August 2003, 06:23   #13
Amiga1992

R/C choppers are basts to handle, yer right! I know they are the most difficult R/C things to handle.

Personally, I never went ahead from airplanes.
Old 27 August 2003, 21:29   #14
Syko

Boats and Cars for me - they don't crash as bad! Can't remember what the boat was, it's been years, but still got the car - it's a Serpent Quattro w/ carbon-fibre sub-frame, 4WD, big sticky slicks, disk brake, 2 gears, and fast as fcuk!
Old 27 June 2021, 22:59   #15
blakespot

I have had the demo for this for a long time, but just grabbed a Futaba "transmitter" controller off eBay and grabbed the full game. Running it on my A1000 w/ controller connected via serial.

The sim runs, but the sticks do nothing when moved anywhere but up and/or left; any right or down movement from center does nothing. I see no calibration feature in the settings. Anyone know how to calibrate this thing? Seems an odd way for it to be broken, if it's an issue w/ both sticks.

I have a standard gender changer on my A1000 serial port to use standard serial cables. I also use it with my WiFi232 which is standard serial and that works fine.

Thanks. I wish the manual were anywhere online, but it seems not to be.

bp
Old 28 June 2021, 13:54   #16
stevelord

It looks like it's a specific Futaba conquest controller that's been given a serial port instead of a radio link. If you run a serial comms program and try different baud rates do you get any data over serial? Probably good to see what comes out. If nothing comes out when going right or down the problem may be mechanical.
Old 29 June 2021, 00:27   #17
blakespot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
It looks like it's a specific Futaba conquest controller that's been given a serial port instead of a radio link. If you run a serial comms program and try different baud rates do you get any data over serial? Probably good to see what comes out. If nothing comes out when going right or down the problem may be mechanical.
Yep, that seems to be it. I tried it with a terminal prog and only see changes moving to top left quad. Both sticks... Seems odd. I may as well open it, I guess.

I also have a more modern such controller for IKARUS' AeroFly 7, with USB, but that won't work on the Amiga!

[ Show youtube player ]

bp