English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 05 June 2007, 12:39   #1
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

Re: HOL for Microsoft Windows

From the HOL site:

**HOL for Microsoft Windows ™
A windows version of HOL database is currently in work,
It will be a win32 standalone application based on regularly online update.
This program will be released "when it's done", so please be patient **

does anyone know approximately when it will be released?
Old 05 June 2007, 13:48   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

It's like that for a couple of years now
Old 05 June 2007, 15:24   #3
lostfriend
Zone Friend

just put all the info from HOL into MAGE, nothing more we need
Old 06 June 2007, 01:15   #4
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

2 years? well , I guess it isn't being done then.

How do I put all the info from HOL into MAGE, or are you jesting?
Old 06 June 2007, 01:25   #5
AmigaBoy

MAGE is a frontend currently being developed by eLowar. There's been no releases as of yet as he's fairly busy.

The HOL offline project is pretty much dead. There's been no news on that front for years. If you want something similar, check out GBAmiga (gbamiga.elowar.com). It's basically HOL except it has the added advantage of allowing you to actually play the games too (ADFs, SPS images and WHDLoad releases from KG's packs).

As a sidenote, GBAmiga will (as far as I'm aware) become MAGE Amiga once MAGE is released.

Hope that helps
Old 06 June 2007, 01:29   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

There's also Lemonade that IIRC contains a few good details about various/many games.
Old 06 June 2007, 01:47   #7
AmigaBoy

Lemonade had an opportunity to be the better frontend. Unfortunately, it's buggy and has had very few releases (one initial program release and 1 updated DB release if I recall). Kim claims it's going to have a DB update, but even if it does, there's no chance it can be on par with what GBAmiga has achieved thus far.

Additionally, GBAmiga is developed by Belgarath who is one of the HOL team while Lemonade is done by Kim, who's just an enthusiast. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd personally go for the one with ties to HOL
Old 06 June 2007, 01:52   #8
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
As a sidenote, GBAmiga will (as far as I'm aware) become MAGE Amiga once MAGE is released.
That is correct. To explain the situation, the original MAGE project from back then sort of died (never officially, but what we're doing now has little to do with back then) of a messy concept and total lack of time at the time, it has only been re-born recently. WHDRun in the latest GBAmiga release marks the first little step in the transition, I'm currently generalizing it to be scriptable and intend it (under a different name) to be the general file runner and scripting component for the future MAGE (and other frontends in fact, there is some cooperation going on for a change ).
Old 06 June 2007, 02:45   #9
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

yes, I installed GBAmiga but it doesn't have a review section. That's what I like about HOL. It has multiple reviews for games (actual scans from mags), and all the necessary game information. Is there something similar for GBA?
Old 06 June 2007, 03:06   #10
Pyromania

Google Gears allows you to have web apps offline, maybe a version of HOL could be created that supported that? Then it would be multiplatform as long as Firefox was being used.

http://code.google.com/apis/gears/?u...google%20gears
Old 06 June 2007, 03:08   #11
AmigaBoy

Unfortunately not. The reviews are a new feature to HOL. They're linked from AMR which is another abime.net project (by Galaxy and Codetapper).
The reason why I don't see this sort of thing being integrated into GBAmiga in the near future is the priority at the moment would probably be to list everything and have a working and playable configuration for each game.
Maybe in the future? I really don't know. I'm just a GBAmiga user

Last edited by AmigaBoy; 06 June 2007 at 03:18. Reason: Corrected my fantastic Engrish
Old 06 June 2007, 03:12   #12
Pyromania

@Jason

I have never tried GBAmiga, I'll have to give it a go.
Old 06 June 2007, 04:31   #13
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Unfortunately not. The reviews are a new feature to HOL. They're linked from AMR which is another abime.net project (by Galaxy and Codetapper).
The reason why I don't see this sort of thing being integrated into GBAmiga in the near future is the priority at the moment would probably be to list everything and have a working and playable configuration for each game.
Maybe in the future? I really don't know. I'm just a GBAmiga user
Indeed the point is to have a nice browsable reference and working configurations for every game (along with a convenient way to start them). The point is not to combine all the information and files of the internet into a single offline resource. It's already big enough and hard enough to maintain as it is. Yes, the future will probably bring more features, but the simple fact is that offline resources can't ever fully replace or reflect live online resources.

I'm not sure there's all that much of a point in trying to make every online project offline anymore. Programs can just link to or integrate online resources as well. Admittedly, there is the issue of long term availability. Maybe the future will bring some reasonable hybrid solution (beyond the brute force solution of providing downloadable snapshops of whole online projects).
Old 06 June 2007, 04:46   #14
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania
Google Gears allows you to have web apps offline, maybe a version of HOL could be created that supported that? Then it would be multiplatform as long as Firefox was being used.

http://code.google.com/apis/gears/?u...google%20gears
Hmm, I had a quick look, may be worth keeping an eye on.

It sounds much like it's just a more sophisticated version (with some actual control for the site owner, etc.) of the "Offline Pages" (or similar names) feature browsers have had for ages.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:11   #15
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

GameBase does have a rating field and I did consider putting an average score taken from the amr reviews and putting it into GameBase, that is until I realised the scores would be horrendously inaccurate and some crap games would get high scores and vice versa, that's not a fault of amr though, there was just a lot of terrible reviewers

Eventually I'd like to be able to add user added scores, which although has it's own problems, if you get enough of them it generally reflects the quality of the games better.

On the whole I trust mag reviews as much as I trust KG in a banana plantation.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:19   #16
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
On the whole I trust mag reviews as much as I trust KG in a banana plantation.
Old 07 June 2007, 02:31   #17
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

well it depends what journalist reviews the game. I find good reviews more enlightening than a simple 1-10 number. And judging by the "best such & such a game" threads, many gamers only seem knowledgeable of the more recent Amiga releases (AGA stuff). I wouldn't trust their opinions.

also, mag reviews are another form of nostalgia, and it would be convenient to have access to them through some offline application (I don't have a fast internet connection, and the pics take too long to display).

I understand that isn't GBA's premise, though. was just wondering if there was something else similar to what HOL offers. evidently, there isn't.
Old 07 June 2007, 05:32   #18
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Keep in mind HOL itself doesn't even offer it (as in the reviews), it's AMR, which itself is still rather young and growing a lot. That's the power of online resources, they can just link to eachother.

As for offline use, I'm not sure many webmasters of scanned review places (including our own RCK for AMR) would appreciate the (considerable amounts of) extra traffic involved in people making full offline archives all the time. Tools like Google Gears help a little in that they make incremental updates clean and simple, but every user of the offline application still has to download the whole thing at least once (and an update automatically means large amounts of traffic too).

Maybe something like the snapshots Wikipedia (and other places) offers would be more feasable (as they can be hosted off-site). Incremental updates may be possible (depending on the capabilities of the host) with rsync or possibly simple patch packages.

It just seems like a lot of effort for something that would ultimately and primarily generate lots of traffic and result in even more data theft than we already have. Knowing people on the internet, a vast majority would probably just leech it because it's there and not because they actually want to use it, too (I'm not accusing anybody here of anything like that, I'm just saying that's what a lot of people are like).

Hmm, I'm sorry I'm ranting. I just woke up. I'll shut up now.
Old 07 June 2007, 06:24   #19
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

I was ignorant of all that. Thanks for helping me get with the program.
Old 24 November 2009, 00:29   #20
mai

Is this project dead? (offline HOL database)