English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 October 2022, 22:08   #1
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Exclamation Crazy story time

So, I remember having several amazing Amiga related stories to fall back on over the years

1. A (not sure how I found him) Norwegian 'contact' with whom I swapped games and demos, who one day sent me this disk containing a mysterious game (little known at the time) 'Hunter' which, quite simply, blew me away..

2. Finding out about (20 years after their heyday) that in fact Psygnosis were based just down the road on Riverside Drive right here in Liverpool almost opposite my gym (Nuffield) and which is now a Post Office sorting/collection office). Ohhhh if only walls could talk!

3. Beating 1000s of other kids in winning a magazine (can't remember which one) competition with the star prize being spending the day at Gremlin Graphics in Sheffield, only to be told NO by my mum as it was a school day

4. Meeting up with 'Weetabix' (I think) from the SCG (Scouse Cracking Group) in Bootle to buy and trade games and stuff. Not quite sure how, maybe through Liverpool Echo classifieds?

5. Being a 2nd or 3rd runner up in a yet another competition (to win a CDTV) winning a shitty blue camera with a commodore sticker on it.. would have rather won nowt than knowing I'd come so close!

6. Working at SCEE = Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (Psygnosis in its remaining years) for a few years, getting my name in a few manuals, IMDB and being lucky enough to test what I consider one of my top ten games of ALL time and the best PSP game of ALL time, WIPEOUT PURE. Later on getting a free copy 7/8 months later (still obsessed with) then the JAP and USA version each (in addition to the EUR version) each with it's own region specific content and later even so much as providing a whispery voice to some of the DLC in the 'Omega Pack'

7. My first Amiga developing a fault after a few months, and the store requesting we send it back for repair whilst they sent a courtesy one in the meantime. A month or two later my trusty Amiga 500 turned up and they didn't ever request the replacement back, so after sitting on it a for month or two I placed in the Liverpool Echo for about £300 (cheeky huh?). A few crazy offers later, one strange bloke offered me £100, a bottle of milk and a good hard s**g with his sister... I asked, was it semi-skimmed?

Last edited by ipod_sock; 28 October 2022 at 22:40.
Old 29 October 2022, 05:12   #2
ImmortalA1000

Not so much a story, more of an urban myth, that the chart hit "Hardcore Uproar" by the group "Together' was a dirty rip-off of a friend of a friend's Amiga MOD tune.

The excuse being said friend no longer gave out any disks with his MOD tunes on them so nobody ever got to hear it!!!