English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 December 2022, 02:57   #1
xboxown

Issue with my Amiga 500 Kickstart 3.2.1

I have an issue with my A500 and I need help. I don't know what happened out of the blues...but after soft rebooting my Amiga started to act weird...it is no longer able to loadwb anymore or show icon. Not only that, but it is also no longer performing correctly, it is performing as if you are running WinUAE emulator on a Pentium II @ 300 Mhz...so you can visualize the slow speed it is performing when clicking, moving windows around or even drawing windows and drawing the gadgets and buttons. I thought perhaps if I power it off and power it back on it would solve it, but it didn't solve it. if I type loadwb it loads fine and if I type endcli it closes windows and the icons does not load up or show up.....but you know the busy clock mouse pointer when it is loading a file? Will it get stuck on that forever but the icons never do show up after you type endcli.

If I go under skip ss where I type load, endcli, etc only the cursor is soo slow to flash...as if the frame rate is skipping horribly and the fps is running at 5 fps instead of 25 fps or what not. Everything is super slow. Unnaturally slow.
When I do hdtools...it toke forever to load the hard drive configuration
and it shows OS 3.2.HDF in the HDToolbox. This is a physical hard drive and it says UAE but that is fine...I think it was like that before when it is working

I don't know how to solve this issue. I am not so sure it is because the is CIA damaged? When I switch to Kickstart 1.3 everything works great. So what do I do???!!
Old 06 December 2022, 04:40   #2
grelbfarlk

If you boot Brataccas from floppy does it run ok?
Old 06 December 2022, 04:50   #3
xboxown

What is bractaccas? Bare in mind that we are talking about kickstart 3.2.1 here. This is where workbench.library is no longer residing in the ROM residentancy but it is in the actual physical hard drive. That being said, if Brataccas a game or an application that doesn't have workbench.library from OS 3.2.1 residing in the libs folder it is a failed experiment and will not work. Also, in additional to that, I don't think it is a software thing...or I am not sure what it is to be honest...because when I skipped SS and went pure CLI without loading residency, doing assign, loading files from wbstartup folder or anything else....as mentioned earlier the entire Amiga hardware it is acting as if the latest WinUAE is running on a 486 processor running at 75 Mhz which is what I am trying to give you a visualization of the fps and speed I am dealing with...in additional to the fact that the icons will never...ever show up after loadwb and endcli except waiting endlessly.
Old 06 December 2022, 06:55   #4
xboxown

Solved it. I forgot...- slaps forehead - I forgot about the file system where onces a while it does verification which slows everything down.....I had to keep the HDD crunching for hours before it return back to normal -_-. I forgot ..I forgot...I forgot...about this part. -_-. I am glad I left it there...it is because my A500 does not have LED for hard drive activity. Is there anyway, a hardware, or something that can turn the disk drive LED flash for hard drive activity as well disk drive activity? This way I can see any hard drive activity done through the LED of the disk drive.
Old 06 December 2022, 22:01   #5
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
That being said, if Brataccas a game or an application that doesn't have workbench.library from OS 3.2.1 residing in the libs folder it is a failed experiment and will not work.
If a disk needs Workbench to boot, it will still boot and work just fine with OS 3.2 so long as the 3.2 hard drive partition is mounted. The Kickstart knows to look elsewhere for the library so it doesn't need to be on the floppy disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
Solved it. I forgot...- slaps forehead - I forgot about the file system where onces a while it does verification which slows everything down.....
[...]
Is there anyway, a hardware, or something that can turn the disk drive LED flash for hard drive activity as well disk drive activity? This way I can see any hard drive activity done through the LED of the disk drive.
There's no way in software to control the floppy LED like that - it's linked directly to the floppy drive Motor On signal. There are hardware mods that can be done however...

For future reference, the Info command in the Shell will tell you if a partition is validating and thus slowing everything to a crawl. Using an alternative filesystem like PFS3 avoids needing to validate the partitions, but then again, a partition only needs to validate because writing to it was interrupted so just make sure you're not saving to the hard drive when you reboot and you should avoid it most of the time.
Old 07 December 2022, 02:01   #6
xboxown

Thank you for all the tips Daedalus. I didn't even know of the command info either and I didn't know that workbench.library will be loaded from hard drive if I booted from disk without it been there. That is something I learned newly heh.

I saw this hardware mode: https://www.amigaworld.de/hardware/a...d-led-adapter/

I am wondering where can I buy it? This literally solves my problem 100%!!
Old 07 December 2022, 03:06   #7
thebajaguy

The thread doesn't identify what hardware you are using for a HDD interface. You will need to know what pin (or pins) are the controller activity LED. You could just run a long F-F dupont jumper cable from those pins with a simple LED in the end, and make it visible through the vent slats.
Old 07 December 2022, 15:43   #8
Daedalus

Indeed, that board is only part of the equation. It lets you use the floppy activity for hard drive activity (as well as the original floppy function), but the actual signal still has to come from somewhere. Your adaptor may or may not have such a connection, and if it doesn't, the adaptor itself would also need to be modified.
Old 08 December 2022, 01:44   #9
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Indeed, that board is only part of the equation. It lets you use the floppy activity for hard drive activity (as well as the original floppy function), but the actual signal still has to come from somewhere. Your adaptor may or may not have such a connection, and if it doesn't, the adaptor itself would also need to be modified.
I am using terrilefire...
Old 08 December 2022, 11:06   #10
Daedalus

That doesn't have an easily accessible pin for taking the activity signal from unfortunately. The signal you want is on pin 39 of the IDE port, so you either need to solder extra stuff to the TF board or add an interstitial board to the IDE port to break out the signal.
Old 08 December 2022, 15:48   #11
xboxown

Where would I find interstitial board to the ide port?
Old 08 December 2022, 16:49   #12
Daedalus

I'm not sure one exists...
Old 08 December 2022, 17:21   #13
xboxown

And that folks, ends the tune of this story! - claps hands - Stay tuned for the next episode, "Where is cheapest ethernet card for zorro II Amiga?"!!