English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 November 2022, 17:08   #1
larsovef

Cleaning Hi-Tek PCB "key side"

Hi!
I have a Hi-Tek keyboard that came with an A500. I wanted to ask if awnyone here have cleaned their PCB. Mine is quite dirty under the keys, and it looks to be very dirty between the black metal plate and PCB. If you've successfully cleaned yours, how did you do it? This guy here put his in the dish washer..... https://www.triflex.dk/2019/11/22/st...lips-keyboard/

cheers,
LarsO

Last edited by larsovef; 30 November 2022 at 22:01.
Old 03 December 2022, 23:59   #2
larsovef

So the only solution is to desolder all the switches? ;(
Old 04 December 2022, 03:42   #3
r.cade

I wouldn't desolder it... way too much work.

Soak in hot water and degreasing dish soap for a while, and then run it through the dishwasher...

Dry with warm hair dryer and/or compressed air, and then time. Do not be in a hurry to try it wet.

It will be fine. I've put entire filthy arcade circuit boards through this with no problem. It does not hurt anything except paper labels.
Old 04 December 2022, 18:03   #4
larsovef

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cade View Post
I wouldn't desolder it... way too much work.

Soak in hot water and degreasing dish soap for a while, and then run it through the dishwasher...

Dry with warm hair dryer and/or compressed air, and then time. Do not be in a hurry to try it wet.

It will be fine. I've put entire filthy arcade circuit boards through this with no problem. It does not hurt anything except paper labels.
Thanks!
I soaked it a while in like warm water with soap. Cleaned it good and rinsed in fresh water and did an ipa-soak to force water out. Drying now. I used hair dryer as I had no compressed air available. I also used some wd40 on a cotton bud where sports of rust had formed on the black plate. And used it on the metal hinges for some of the keys.
So far very good!