English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 August 2023, 22:59   #1
eXeler0

Lenovo Q24i-1L and the Amiga- Perfect match?

So, I have many Amigas and therefore also a bunch of monitors of various age and size.
A while ago while Googling for some new nice Monitor for my A4000 which was recently upgraded with RTG, I found this blog post about a Lenovo Q24i-10.
Supposedly, this was a very good match with its native 15kHz support and what not..
However, I noticed it's already hard to find, at least here in Sweden. So I stumbled upon this other variant, the Q24i-1L. Seemed similar enough so I bought it in blind faith and hoped for the best ;-)

Fortunately, it turns out this is a pretty nice new, slim 23.8" monitor that has HDMI for the RTG input and VGA for RGB out. And yes, it handles 15kHz! Perfect combo for an A4000 with RTG I thought.

It doesn't handle *every* Amiga screenmode, but quite a few. For some reason it doesn't do Interlace at 15kHz, but at 29 it works with Interlace.
Anyway, I went on and made a long video review (ended up being 20min long), feel free to check it out.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 August 2023, 23:05   #2
lesta_smsc

Really interesting video. I've not used RTG but my brother had a monitor (AOC) that supported 15kHz virtually every Amiga resolution within standard WB. In fact, it also supported 25kHz and 31kHz or "trisync" monitor.

Like yours, it was also an LED panel! However, it appeared to centre every image and scale it such at at least the top and bottom was touching the limits of resolution but it would display 4:3 image rather than stretch to 16:9 given that monitor was wide-screen!
Old 31 August 2023, 00:31   #3
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Really interesting video. I've not used RTG but my brother had a monitor (AOC) that supported 15kHz virtually every Amiga resolution within standard WB. In fact, it also supported 25kHz and 31kHz or "trisync" monitor.

Like yours, it was also an LED panel! However, it appeared to centre every image and scale it such at at least the top and bottom was touching the limits of resolution but it would display 4:3 image rather than stretch to 16:9 given that monitor was wide-screen!
Ah nice, I checked the 15kHz monitor list, could it be the AOC 24E1Q?
Seems like it's still on sale, and actually cheaper than the Lenovo Q24i ;-)
Old 31 August 2023, 06:18   #4
Mr-Z

Nice review, had a few good laughs with accelerated keyboard bashing and such

Bought a 24 inch Hitachi TV some years ago for my Amiga(s) that seems to work very well.
The SCART works perfect (no jail bars etc) and for RTG it takes all kind of weird scan frequencies like 24Hz and that's ideal for Vampire equipped systems.
Old 31 August 2023, 10:37   #5
mikeboss

I have an ASUS PA248QV and it syncs also to 15 KHz. even interlaced mode works, but it looks terrible. one single drawback: at 15 KHz it's unable to correct the aspect ratio (always zooms to full-screen). bonus: it's a 16:10 panel, which is slightly less annoying than 16:9.
Old 01 September 2023, 21:40   #6
eXeler0

I ordered the AOC 24E1Q,
dirt cheap, should arrive within 10 days, Ill review / compare it with the Lenovo. If I would guess, its probably a cheaper panel.
Old 11 October 2023, 02:06   #7
Xyzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I ordered the AOC 24E1Q,
dirt cheap, should arrive within 10 days, Ill review / compare it with the Lenovo. If I would guess, its probably a cheaper panel.

Hi, how's the AOC? Is it worth considering or should I buy what seems to be the last remaining Q24i-1L on the planet?
Old 11 October 2023, 04:02   #8
klx300r

Check out Issue 8 of http://whatiff.info/ there's an article that has a review of a monitor that works with miggies
Old 14 October 2023, 00:15   #9
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Hi, how's the AOC? Is it worth considering or should I buy what seems to be the last remaining Q24i-1L on the planet?

Howdy,
I got it a while ago snd tested it, but havent found the time to do a proper youtube review yet.
Short story, it works but feels cheaper than the Q24-1L and Im seeing some artefacts in certain screenmodes. Need to test more and eliminate some potential factors.
If you dont have a very limited budget, id pick the Q24 over the AOC
Old 14 October 2023, 17:51   #10
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:

It doesn't handle *every* Amiga screenmode, but quite a few. For some reason it doesn't do Interlace at 15kHz, but at 29 it works with Interlace.
Anyway, I went on and made a long video review (ended up being 20min long), feel free to check it out.
[ Show youtube player ]
I suppose that finding monitors with VGA connector have same situation in Sweden than it is here in Finland.

But something I don't get, VGA situation is same than SCART, but usually LCD-TVs with SCART does very well Amiga native screen modes and they even do DeInterlace, so flicker free Hires Interlaced screen 640 x 512.

So everyone in Europe should try to find some thing like this Samsung UE19H4005AW, it does every Amiga screen mode without a hasle.
Old 14 October 2023, 23:59   #11
Tpod

@utri007

So you seem to be saying that Samsung UE19H4005AW definitely does all Amiga screen modes (including Productivity ….. that would be exceptional).

I think you are also saying you know of other SCART LCD TVs that do all/most Amiga screen modes well (including flicker free Interlace)? Be a great help if you could share any you know of that definitely do.

Years ago (10-15+ years) most would work well with non-Interlaced PAL/NTSC HiRes (rarely other modes).
Old 15 October 2023, 02:05   #12
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpod View Post
@utri007

So you seem to be saying that Samsung UE19H4005AW definitely does all Amiga screen modes (including Productivity ….. that would be exceptional).

Years ago (10-15+ years) most would work well with non-Interlaced PAL/NTSC HiRes (rarely other modes).
To be honest, I only care PAL and NTSC modes. Majority of LCD TVs does very well those if used with SCART

I have small collection old LCD tv, Samsung 2x, Philips 2x, Sony, Videoseven and two LG 4:3 TV's. LGs are only ones that doesn't do deinterlace. I use them with my 8bit computers.
Old 15 October 2023, 09:41   #13
jbilander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post

Hi, one difference is that you can scale to 4:3 aspect ratio (on the VGA input) with the AOC. This is a must for me but some people prefer it stretched.

https://imgur.com/a/UCSllnx
Old 15 October 2023, 12:42   #14
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilander View Post
Hi, one difference is that you can scale to 4:3 aspect ratio (on the VGA input) with the AOC. This is a must for me but some people prefer it stretched.

https://imgur.com/a/UCSllnx

At 6min 8 secs in my video review of the Lenovo you can see the scaling mode setting, you can set it to ”original” aspect ratio
Old 15 October 2023, 13:12   #15
jbilander

Quote:
At 6min 8 secs in my video review of the Lenovo you can see the scaling mode setting, you can set it to ”original” aspect ratio
yes for DblPal, but check your video at 7:09 it gets stretched at Regular PAL High Res, no?

Also this is mentioned in the Lenovo Q24i-10 blog:
https://espenskogblog.wordpress.com/...rn-led-screen/

The 4:3 setting on the monitor (or actually the “Adjust to original aspect radio”) does not seem to put the image in 4:3 mode from a classic Amiga machine, but rather displays it in full screen 16:9. If this is a problem for you, then this is something you need to take into consideration before buying.
Old 15 October 2023, 22:44   #16
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilander View Post
yes for DblPal, but check your video at 7:09 it gets stretched at Regular PAL High Res, no?

Also this is mentioned in the Lenovo Q24i-10 blog:
https://espenskogblog.wordpress.com/...rn-led-screen/

The 4:3 setting on the monitor (or actually the “Adjust to original aspect radio”) does not seem to put the image in 4:3 mode from a classic Amiga machine, but rather displays it in full screen 16:9. If this is a problem for you, then this is something you need to take into consideration before buying.
Yea Ok, it doesn't stretch to full screen, as you can see in Doom example, it seems somewhat weird at times with how much it stretches the image.
As for the AOC, it might be better at keeping the aspect ratio in PAL but High Res Interlace looks awful so its not usable, but I run WB on the AOC in DBL PAL Highres No Flicker (with overscan) then most games are PAL Lowres, so it works out fine. If you are fine with those alternatives, its very good value for money being as cheap as it is.
Old 28 October 2023, 00:13   #17
Xyzzy

Quote:
Howdy,
I got it a while ago snd tested it, but havent found the time to do a proper youtube review yet.
Short story, it works but feels cheaper than the Q24-1L and Im seeing some artefacts in certain screenmodes. Need to test more and eliminate some potential factors.
If you dont have a very limited budget, id pick the Q24 over the AOC
I went for the Lenovo in the end and works great, thanks. I haven't checked out the higher res screen modes yet.

The Q24-20 and 30 don't have VGA connectors so I guess Lenovo's another brand that can be crossed off the list now.
Old 28 October 2023, 01:12   #18
Photon

This and the 2722 does 15kHz 50Hz over HDMI with smooth scrolling and is compatible with e.g. RGBtoHDMI.

It does only DblPal over unbuffered VGA, not 15kHz. Buffered not tested.

It's thin and very lightweight, and the stand is detachable.

OSD menu has many options as you expect from a Dell monitor, including 4:3 and 3 settings for pixel update speed.