English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 September 2015, 23:12   #1
TenLeftFingers

Recommend a replacement for this joystick?

It's a QJ something or other and it's such a joy to use, but pieces of plastic are starting to rattle around inside and the number of pieces is growing daily.

I've found something close but the buttons aren't quite right ( http://www.ebay.ie/itm/QUICKJOY-MEGA...item2a56cf5d98 ).

Any suggestions for something similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image20150907_182942293.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	45390  
Old 08 September 2015, 00:19   #2
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

To avoid vintage controller leprosy you could go for the new Arcade Evolution table-top joystick from Amiga Kit.

On the retro side there's the Sega Megadrive Arcade Power Stick, Ultimate Superstick or Quickshot QS-138F.
Old 08 September 2015, 15:51   #3
TenLeftFingers

Thanks dreamkatch, all great suggestions! I'd have to get used to the left-handedness of all of those controllers but the one I have as well as the AmigaKit one have options for the stick on the other side.

I also found this guy I had forgotten: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=331
Old 10 September 2015, 05:11   #4
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
To avoid vintage controller leprosy you could go for the new Arcade Evolution table-top joystick from Amiga Kit.
Two buttons only alas.

Quote:
On the retro side there's the Sega Megadrive Arcade Power Stick, Ultimate Superstick or Quickshot QS-138F.
These are great but they require a modification to ensure long term survival of the CIAs and since the third and start buttons are read by multiplexing the Amiga will only see two buttons.
(Cf http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=562220&postcount=29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
I also found this guy I had forgotten: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=331
It looks really nice but I really think two buttons only Amiga joysticks should be made illegal. I know not many games of old support three buttons (if any) but future ones will, so plan for the future!
Old 10 September 2015, 05:23   #5
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
It looks really nice but I really think two buttons only Amiga joysticks should be made illegal. I know not many games of old support three buttons (if any) but future ones will, so plan for the future!
er..
So, where can one buy a 3 button joystick that would be planning for the future?

I don't know that I've seen many (any until that pic above) 3 button sticks.
(Other than for other systems (Genesis) or CD32 pads..)

desiv
Old 10 September 2015, 06:18   #6
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
er..
So, where can one buy a 3 button joystick that would be planning for the future?

I don't know that I've seen many (any until that pic above) 3 button sticks.
(Other than for other systems (Genesis) or CD32 pads..)

desiv
Much wise question indeed. It is easy to point out problems but it is always better to point out solutions.

For digital joysticks I would actually recommend the six button MegaDrive/Genesis arcade stick mentioned previously or any compatible pad. With the addition of a converter to invert pin 5 and 7, thus providing voltage to the controller and safeguarding the Amiga CIA.
The Amiga is perfectly capable of reading all 8 buttons of the MD controllers (6 + start + mode) as well as detecting them properly since it can use its pin 5 for input or output at will and thus implement the required protocol.
So any new game could support it out of the "box".

I do not know if WHDLoad implements the protocol but if it did that would also allow to play some old games entirely with the joystick instead of relying on keyboard keys for extra functions.

Now, someone needs to find a cheap way to manufacture a nice looking version (no naked PCBs pleaaaase or horrible thermoplastic covers, I'm tired of seeing these on eBay) of the adapter with clear markings so it does not get mistaken for a prolongating cable.
Old 10 September 2015, 08:49   #7
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
It looks really nice but I really think two buttons only Amiga joysticks should be made illegal.
Finally, someone who understands
Old 10 September 2015, 15:26   #8
TenLeftFingers

Thanks guys. Yes, suggestions are better than unresolved problems. Personally, I'm only into the old games anyway so one or two buttons are loads for me. Sadly, although the one I showed in the first post has three buttons they are not differentiated like on say a Sega gamepad.

So the suggestions so far for sticks are:
I'm curious what games you are all playing that two buttons arent' enough for?!
Old 10 September 2015, 20:27   #9
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Six button MegaDrive/Genesis arcade stick (which is left-handed as far as I'm concerned - but I guess the arcade games were all like that)
Note that you should really use a converter with this one. It will work without one but only two buttons will work and you might end up putting strain on the CIAs on the long term.

Quote:
I'm curious what games you are all playing that two buttons arent' enough for?!
The one I'm working on requires three buttons.
Old 11 September 2015, 00:45   #10
TenLeftFingers

Ah, thanks for the tip ReadOnlyCat. I appreciate that. I could have been happily playing away not realising I was causing damage.

I'm very curious about your games. Any links to share?

Sent from Ubuntu Touch using the Forum Browser app
Old 11 September 2015, 02:27   #11
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
I'm very curious about your games. Any links to share?
Not at the moment.
As soon as I have something which is visually interesting I will put up a video.