English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 October 2014, 07:43   #1
Haywirepc

HAYWIRE PC banned from Amiga.org

I got banned from Amiga.org for publicly asking why MORPHOS news was no longer approved as news items and asking too many questions.

I have been a forum member there for 10+ years. I have helped countless amigans over those years, and been a good contributing member to that site.

The new owners are now banning anyone who questions anything apparently.

Amigakit and AEON now own that site. (So I suppose its a red camp site now?)

Used to be that any relevant amiga news item got approved. Now it seems that if the new site owners do not benefit financially from your post, it is not approved. Thats sad, because it used to be a site for all amigans. (No more apparently)

To be clear, I'm not a red camp or blue camp guy. I'm simply a guy who loves all things amiga. (If I had to choose one I'd say I'm an AROS guy) Still I think a site called amiga.org should include news items from all camps.

This new regime is killing that site. Its sad that the petty bullshit like this keeps going. Looks like the control freaks think they can control what you hear about in amiga news now. If they are not making money off it, then I guess they don't care to include some news items. Selfish scared losers runing what was once a great resource for amiga fans.

This is the beginning of the end. How many amiga fans are left? Why would they alienate anyone at this point? Are they so scared of losing the few dollars they are making off the amiga corpse still that they will do anything to preserve and try and expand that?

Its a sad, sad stage of whats left of amiga land now. Power hungry idiots thinking they can filter or control things.

And to be clear, I do believe that MorphOS is technically superior to amiga os 4.x and this is why they refuse to post relevant morphos news. They think they can minimize their competition by buying this site and controlling the content.

Based on this experience, I will NEVER buy anything from Amigakit ever again.
I will NEVER buy an OS4 or AEON product EVER.

So fuck you right in your eyes, you control freak assholes. I'm a huge amiga fan and enthusiast. I will NEVER EVER support your products ever again. I will NEVER give you a single dime and I will encourage others to only support the groups left in amiga land that still have some form of integrity.

I will not be banned or censored or have the ability to ask questions taken away from me by these kind of people.

If your position is SO WEAK that you can't allow people to ask questions?

Well that speaks volumes about how weak you are, how scared you are, and
how powerless and pathetic you are.

I suppose this post may be banned also, but at least I said my peace.

Best regards,

Haywirepc
Amiga user since 1987.
Old 13 October 2014, 08:44   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywirepc View Post
I do believe that MorphOS is technically superior to amiga os 4.x
I must disagree there, but I agree with the rest of what you said. The quality of moderation there has dropped dramatically lately.

Last edited by Minuous; 13 October 2014 at 09:06.
Old 13 October 2014, 10:00   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Amiga.ORG largely became irrelevant years ago, its a shadow of its former self, and before any Mods get apoplectic with rage, i'm expressing my own opinion, not EAB's, i'm a little too old for inter board 'wars'!

I have no comment to make on the current regime at Amiga.ORG because I simply don't frequent it anywhere near enough that it bothers me. Long time ago, it was a no brainer, check whats on Amiga.ORG, but that was a long time ago now.
Old 13 October 2014, 10:05   #4
ptyerman

Never registered at amiga.org and I'm glad now I didn't, but I have read the forum for a few years. I must say that lately it seems someone is having jackbooted fun with the lock posts and delete posts buttons.
Old 13 October 2014, 10:58   #5
SMF

Send a message via MSN to SMF
The topmost news item on amiga.org is an morphos news. So what are you crying about?
Old 13 October 2014, 11:25   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
People on Amiga.org have been allowed to do what they want when they want for years. You all got used to that and decided it was ok to do.
As soon as someone says no, it kicks off.

EAB never has this problem as it has never tolerated such behaviour. This is why EAB is an awesome forum.

I have nothing against, AROS, MorphOS or AmigaOS. Its just some people like to troll and stir things up for no reason. Why???
Old 13 October 2014, 12:04   #7
Lobotomika

It all comes down to the fact that hierarchical online communities AKA the forum format is redundant for a long time, probably ever since people rediscovered true freedom of speech with twitter. I'm not interested in the subject matter here, it's irrelevant. Any problem with a forum always lies in the concept of community moderation. Can't be done anymore.
Old 13 October 2014, 12:12   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomika View Post
It all comes down to the fact that hierarchical online communities AKA the forum format is redundant for a long time, probably ever since people rediscovered true freedom of speech with twitter.
I'm pretty sure that forums and Twitter don't have the same intent and I wholeheartedly disagree about the redundant bit
Old 13 October 2014, 12:14   #9
Lobotomika

A social media site doesn't really have a specific intent and that was an example anyway, a 140 character format is often not adequate for what people like to do on forums. My point is, there's a craving for a new non-hierarchical format to emerge and replace the current forum format simply because 30+, 40+ people logging to their hobby sites don't like to be told what they can or can not post, to be presented a list of rules they must obey or to feel threatened or oppressed in general.
Old 13 October 2014, 15:13   #10
Ami_GFX

I've posted my feelings about A.org moderation on another thread here. The behavior of one of their mods is what finally made me give up on the site. I have the perspective of being a moderator on another forum.

I much prefer forums to social media. I like talking about specific subjects of interest with those that share that interest. There is nothing wrong with the structure as long as it is done right.

I just did a quick check of the 50 latest posts on Amiga.org. Only a couple that I would be interested in to the point of posting. I would definitely give some advice on copying Amiga hard drives if it was posted here. That is the sort of thing I want to read and post about, hardware issues and Amiga emulation. EAB is much better for that.
Old 13 October 2014, 16:13   #11
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I'm pretty sure that forums and Twitter don't have the same intent and I wholeheartedly disagree about the redundant bit
I like forums too you'll never be redundant TCD!

Welcome Mr. Haywirepcbannedfromamiga.org, life's too short, enjoy it over here on EAB I've never tried OS4 or MorphOS - it's always nice to have a choice though..
Old 13 October 2014, 17:10   #12
john1979

There's actually a thread on there from a moderator gloating that he banned someone. Bizarre all the way.
http://amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66094

Don't think you'd ever see anything like that on EAB.
Old 13 October 2014, 17:26   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

I also like forums, the misses knows about social media, however she's knows naff all about forums, giving me the piece of mind that she will never know how big a nerd I really am.

Anyway, drama, let me grab my popcorn....

OK, continue...
Old 13 October 2014, 17:36   #14
john1979

I've always seen Amiga.org as "that place where people do nothing but argue". Every time I've done a bit of googling for an Amiga related issue, I usually drop on a thread there where everyone is falling out on heap.

Perhaps the new moderation have decided to clamp down on it and are going about it all the wrong way. Certainly threads gloating that you banned someone display a hint of "power tripping".

Anyway, I don't mind a bit of drama. Carry on :P
Old 13 October 2014, 18:21   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
There's actually a thread on there from a moderator gloating that he banned someone. Bizarre all the way.

That thread is stupid. That mod should have his moderator access removed.
Not sure on how its relating to this thread, as that was before new ownership.
Old 13 October 2014, 19:42   #16
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@HaywirePC

I read and contribute on amiga.org
Having watched the threads leading up to you being banned I applied my personal "surprise" obnoxious forum member test.
The test is simple, would I be "surprised" if within a week a person would be banned and would I be "surprised" if they popped up elsewhere moaning...

With you in mind, my test concluded that no I would not be surprised.

Congratulations, your behaviour validated my test on both counts.
Old 13 October 2014, 19:50   #17
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

@HaywirePC

Why did you have to post this rant? Why not join as a new member with a clean slate?

I for one am not interested what went on on another forum, I only care about this one.

And as for boycotting Amigakit, are you serious? I for one fully support Amigakit
Old 13 October 2014, 20:29   #18
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
@HaywirePC

Why did you have to post this rant?
I think he posted here to voice his opinion, because:

1. He knows that most of us are on more then one forum, or at least read both forums.
2. He wants to be heard, and because he can't post on a.org, so he post here (I can see that)

To be fair, I personally would like to see the original post on a.org and see why he was banned.
Old 14 October 2014, 00:36   #19
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post

Yes, that is the thread that drove me from Amiga.org. I say goodbye towards the end of it. I had come home from a long frustrating day filled with interpersonal drama and didn't need to read more of it. I'd much rather read about someone coming up with a new approach to recapping an A4000.

Last edited by Ami_GFX; 14 October 2014 at 03:09.
Old 14 October 2014, 13:57   #20
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I remember that thread, and my answer too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
"Yup, I just banned him..."

Very ugly to open a thread just to show your power to bann us all :rtfm:, and where he can't open his mouth. I agree with the most of the people here .

If you had to make it, just do it and put an edit on his last post or something, do not open a thread, and less the kind of this.

"You folks all act like this is some kid's club and you can just revoke someone's access to to tree house." . I totally agree.

If I were a global moderator I would close this thread.