English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 May 2003, 11:35   #1
poppe

Send a message via ICQ to poppe
the external scando ff, any good?

Come across a cheap extarnal scandoubler/flickerfixer, the scando ff i think. Anyone used one of these? Good quality?

Thinking on letting my amiga 1200 and pc share the same monitor using a monitor switch, anyone used this setup? Does it work ok or is two monitors to be prefered?

Regards...
Old 06 May 2003, 13:07   #2
ant512

If the scandoubler is transparent, don't buy it as that model overheats within an hour and gives a crap picture.
Old 06 May 2003, 13:59   #3
poppe

no, this one is a white.. looks like elbox version... like this one: http://www.amiga-society.de/ahwbook/scandoublerff.html

But without the elbox logo and text...
Old 06 May 2003, 14:34   #4
manicx

This looks the same as the EZ-SVGA from Eytech, the same as the one I have. Excellent choice. Just make sure you leave the computer open for 5 mins until it get's a bit warm. You'll then get the perfect picture....
Old 06 May 2003, 14:57   #5
poppe

bought it yeasterday and got problems with it. i dont seem to get palscreens to work.. i get pictures in dblpal/multiscan/etc but they are at 30khz from the beginning... but 15khz screens dont show on my monitor. the monitor switches off... any ideas what it can be? the monitor syncs down to 30khz so i dont think its the problem, could it be a faulty rgb port? gonna try a different amiga as soon as i get close to one...
Old 06 May 2003, 19:06   #6
cv643d

My cv643d scandoubler and Picasso IV scandoubler wouldnt work with my Eizo flexscan 15 inch monitor which was kind a weird I think. They booth worked perfect with an old 14 inch monitor from 1994.
Old 06 May 2003, 22:09   #7
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
If the scandoubler is transparent, don't buy it as that model overheats within an hour and gives a crap picture.
Errr, i have a transparent Sd/ff, its in the shape of an A500 Modulator? This isnt the one and the same is it?

I noticed it does get hot, but i dont think ive ever ran the thing for over an hour...
Old 07 May 2003, 00:21   #8
poppe

got it up and running now.. but im experiencing a quite bad display quality. Kind of dark with vertical stripes... anyone had the same experiance with a scandoubler?
Old 07 May 2003, 09:05   #9
manicx

I think there is a small screw on the back of it. Have you tried "playing" with it (it is used to adjest the picture)...
Old 07 May 2003, 09:48   #10
ant512

Quote:
Originally posted by poppe
got it up and running now.. but im experiencing a quite bad display quality. Kind of dark with vertical stripes... anyone had the same experiance with a scandoubler?
The vertical stripes are caused by the way the scandoubler works. It doubles the number of vertical lines by duplicating them. The duplicates are not quite the same colour as the originals. There's no real way around this. You'll also notice that flickerfixed screens "shimmer" on alternate lines when they are animated - this is due to the way the flickerfixer buffers the two interlaced fields.

As for Antiriad's transparent box - does it have a switch on the back? If so, it is the dodgy model. This is a DCE-manufactured scandoubler. To give you an idea of the build quality, its case is that from a recycled GVP DSS8+ parallel-port sound sampler. I had two of these scandoublers. Both overheated after an hour, causing the display to go crazy - pixels developed negatively coloured fringes and started to flash random colours, blocks of colour were too dark or the wrong colour completely (army green used to appear dark blue, if I remember correctly) and the vertical scandouble effect became even more pronounced.
Old 07 May 2003, 18:12   #11
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Ah shit! This is not good! It does have the switch.
Im going to have to find a decent one then. Eyetech or Power Computing stock a decent one then?
Is this the one im after?

I thought my one was slightly shitty as it does grow hot enough to fry eggs on it and bends a little more than id like at the back with the VGA cable attached to it...also wtf is the switch for???

Last edited by Antiriad; 07 May 2003 at 18:21.
Old 08 May 2003, 10:19   #12
ant512

That's the one I ended up with. I haven't had any problems with it so far, and I've had mine for about 4 years. That one is manufactured by Elbox. It is also sold by Eyetech as an "EZ-VGA" scandoubler; despite the different name, the hardware is identical.

Remember that if you haven't had any problems with your existing scandoubler, there's no reason to spend £80 on a new one. The switch on the back changes something-or-other. I can't remember what exactly, but one position may produce a better image than the other depending on your motherboard. In practice, I found I had to keep flicking between the two positions to stave off the overheating problems for slightly longer.
Old 08 May 2003, 10:23   #13
kriz

i got one of those aswell (the one from power Computing), had it for many years now and never had any problems with it ...
Old 08 May 2003, 12:46   #14
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I think itll be worth having my A1200 on for more than an hour just to find out. However, i admit ive never liked it in all honesty.

Besides, be nice to have a spare.