English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 November 2020, 13:27   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Fans of Elite and Frontier?

If you like Elite and Frontier etc and you didn't know, Elite Dangerous is free for a week on the Epic games site. I believe this is to promote the forthcoming expansion of the game, Odyssey, which is a massive development of the game allowing "space legs" (getting into a suit, and walking around planets/settlements/stations doing missions and stuff and lots more).

I personally like to play the game in Solo mode and have had a great deal of fun with it. I think the base game now includes Horizons which added planetary landings, surface rover vehicles, engineers etc etc.

Elite was the game I bought my C64 for after playing it on the BBC.
Old 19 November 2020, 13:35   #2
Anubis
Retro Gamer

We have gaming sub-forum in off topic area, with topic about free games.

And yes, we also have Elite Dangerous topic...

If you have not tried ED in VR, you don't know what you've missing...

[ Show youtube player ]

ps. Not free yet, bit more time.
Old 19 November 2020, 14:05   #3
dreadnought

A video of a VR action? Hmmm
Old 19 November 2020, 14:44   #4
d4rk3lf

Love Elite, and Frontier, and First Encounter.
Played so many hours all of the above.

Haven't tried yet Elite Dangerous, because I don't have much time at the moment, and I would like to avoid purchasing something that will just be on my hard drive, without time to play it (current case of my Flight Simulator 2020).

One thing always bothered me with David Braben and his games, is his hesitation to make campaign specific missions. It would be so awesome, to have something like Freelancer, where you can choose to follow a campaign, or just wait until you get rich enough.
Yeah, I know original Elite had some "campaign" missions, and it's very cool.
The question is, why others don't?
Old 19 November 2020, 15:32   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

ED does not have campaign, as solo play stuff, but since ED universe is living, you can create yourself any campaign you want, and what you do (even in Solo play) has effect on world around you.

There are many different kind of missions, and completing them gets you in favor with faction you selected to do missions (nothing stops you from doing opposing missions either) and when you become ally you can get any missions they offer as long as you fulfil other requirements, for example empty space for transport mission etc. Some missions can be done as part of wing and they pay quite nice, but not as nice as mining.

As I've said, what you do can impact universe, so for example group of people (squadron) decided what system is going to be their home, decided that instead of federation they want it to be anarchy system, so for weeks they killed all protectors until system went into anarchy state, which also changed what local merchant offers, including what kind of ships / components.

One thing I hope they will change - enable for large systems to make either jump to other stars in system or to somehow differently you can make in system jumps. Reason - to access some of areas of system, you are to fly for 15-20 minutes... even longer for some systems, for example to get to Alpha Century Hutton Oribal Landing (great beer btw), you have to fly over 45 minutes - to the point that EDSM (Elite Dangerous Star Map) made badge for those who landed there, that says - 'Docket at Hutton Orbital... and all I got was a mug!'
Old 19 November 2020, 17:40   #6
Avrovulcan

I'll take a look at that. I was a big fan of Elite on the Spectrum and BBC, and Frontier on the Amiga.
Cheers for the heads-up
Old 19 November 2020, 17:47   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Game is available now.
Old 19 November 2020, 17:50   #8
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Downloading.
Old 19 November 2020, 18:05   #9
sturme
Zone Friend

free hcs voicepack to go with elite dangerous

https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/collec...nt=10793800452
Old 20 November 2020, 14:30   #10
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post

One thing always bothered me with David Braben and his games, is his hesitation to make campaign specific missions. It would be so awesome, to have something like Freelancer, where you can choose to follow a campaign, or just wait until you get rich enough.

I agree. I have argued for something like those missions in the game, and to be fair there are s couple, where you investigate an alien race and it's origins for a scientist - with rewards.

There's also the recently returned week long community goals which do a similar sort of thing. But yeah, chasing the Constrictor on the C64 blew my dolly-bird mind. The machine seemed to me to have infinite mysterious possibilities back then.
Old 20 November 2020, 16:48   #11
Avrovulcan

Downloaded it last night. Blimey what a protracted system. Give me a CD/DVD copy of a game any day.

Starting off with the tutorial, I must say I'm impressed with the graphics. Runs fairly well on my Core i5 Gforce fitted laptop. Even with most of the settings turned up to High.
Old 20 November 2020, 16:53   #12
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrovulcan View Post
I must say I'm impressed with the graphics. Runs fairly well on my Core i5 Gforce fitted laptop. Even with most of the settings turned up to High.

Cool!

Any new Commander issues, I (we) are happy to offer help.
Old 21 November 2020, 18:11   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

To all new players, best way to learn how to control your spaceship and make some in game cash while doing it, go to extraction / mining sites, tag along with defense force and make sure you fire at least once at pirate ships they engage - for even 1 ship you will get full reward.

Just make sure they don't destroy your ship, as all claims will be lost.

And most basic rule of game - never fly without buyout - unless of course you want to play insane difficulty meaning if you die in game - you die and loose everything.
Old 24 November 2020, 17:43   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

If you follow Twitch preview and connect twitch and frontier account, you can get purple ship skin, SRV and weapon / engine colors.

https://www.twitch.tv/elitedangerous
Old 24 November 2020, 18:41   #15
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Having said all this, the game is now £5 on Steam, which many regard as being a superior service to Epic Games......
Old 24 November 2020, 21:43   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturme View Post
free hcs voicepack to go with elite dangerous

https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/collec...nt=10793800452
Quote:
NOTE! A fully registered and licensed version of VoiceAttack software is required.
So is it really free?
Old 24 November 2020, 22:58   #17
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
So is it really free?
Well, the voice packs normally cost a few quid each, so yes, it's free in the same way a free DLC add-on that you'd normally pay for is free, but useless if you don't own the base game.
Old 24 November 2020, 23:15   #18
klx300r

was original kickstarter supporter for Elite Dangerous and looking forward to the latest Odyssey update I've racked up more earning on my XBOX as I can't bear sitting too long at my desk to play on my PC with proper X52 controllers so had to get used to the inferior xbox controllers to save my lower back lol.....now wish I could transfer my XBOX CMDR over to my PC and vice versa
Old 25 November 2020, 14:27   #19
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
So is it really free?
Voice pack is free, but voice attack costs 10 bucks iirc. Best spent 10 bucks in gaming imho.

It is helpful with VR, as seen in following video.

[ Show youtube player ]

Here is Kate's voice...

[ Show youtube player ]