English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 August 2003, 23:46   #1
haribootje

Smile Install cdrom in A4000

After finally having my A1200 running flawlessly, i am now reanimating an old A4000/040 I recently got at my work for free.

I am trying to install an old 12x pc cdrom into this Amiga 4000.

Is it possible ? And what do I have to do to get it running ?? Cause I tried connecting it to the IDE cable as slave, but all that happens is the insert disk anim showing up and no harddisk booting anymore.

I really would like to have some help here !!

Thanx in advance !!
Old 25 August 2003, 00:49   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Sounds like you have a conflict with your harddrive, check that it's set to master, some have single / master / slave options... I might be set to single...

option 2, the cdrom drive is ferked, try another one (even buy a new one for it, they're only £15 or for £20 get a CDRW)

option 2a, chuck £10 or 20e in the post and I'll send you a known working drive, your choice of 4 / 8 / 12 / 36 / 40 / 50 / 52x, I think a couple of them might even be scsi.

option 3, try another ide cable

to actually read a CD you will need a CDFilesystem of some sort 3.1+ have one built in, but get CacheCDFS from OS3.9 or IDEFIX, it's much better. the you will need a dosdriver, you'll probably have one in storage/dosdrivers...
Old 25 August 2003, 03:29   #3
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Actually, you'll need IDEFIX either way. CacheCDFS is just the CD filesystem, not an actual device driver (IDEFIX 97 includes CacheCDFS though). IDEFIX has the ATAPI.DEVICE you need.
Old 25 August 2003, 10:05   #4
haribootje

So, when i am understanding it right I have to install IDEFIX first to actually let the A4000 recognize the cdrom at startup ??

Is there any step by step guide somewhere for installing a cdrom and getting it to work ??
Old 25 August 2003, 12:14   #5
manicx

STEP 1: Install the hardware and set the jumpers. Do not close the case and do not screw the CD-ROM yet (too little space in there to check for possible mistakes.

STEP 2: Find a registered version of IDEFix and install (piece 'o cake installation, CD-ROM is unit 1 [0 is for the HD])

STEP 3: Boot miggy. Insert a CD and make sure the icon displays on desktop.

STEP 4. Screw CD-ROM nad put back the case.
Old 25 August 2003, 15:35   #6
th4t1guy

Would he really need IDEFix? It's a 12x cd-rom after all.
Old 25 August 2003, 15:53   #7
Severin

No he won't need idefix CacheCDFS DOES NOT need atapi.device, it will work with scsi.device the ONLY time you need it would be with a 4-way adaptor and then only for devices 2 and 3 if your using < OS3.9 or for a CDRW...

but install it anyway, then it's there for a future upgrades
Old 25 August 2003, 16:23   #8
thomas

He does need an ATAPI driver when running Kickstart 3.1 or below.

IDEfix contains an ATAPI driver and OS3.5 or 3.9 contain an ATAPI driver, too.

With IDEfix scsi.device is patched to recognise ATAPI drives and you get a seperate atapi.device which only recognises ATAPI drives. In addition you get the ability to handle a 4-way adapter as well as LS120 drives and CD-ROM changers.

IDEfix can still be registered here: http://shareit1.element5.com/product...oductid=106332

With OS3.5/3.9 only the scsi.device is patched to recognise ATAPI drives.
Old 26 August 2003, 05:19   #9
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
No he won't need idefix CacheCDFS DOES NOT need atapi.device, it will work with scsi.device the ONLY time you need it would be with a 4-way adaptor and then only for devices 2 and 3 if your using < OS3.9 or for a CDRW...

but install it anyway, then it's there for a future upgrades
No, it is required when trying to run the HD and CD-ROM on the internal IDE. The old SCSI.device doesn't support ATAPI devices (as stated above).

Without IDEFix

scsi.device unit 0 = HD
scsi.device unit 1 = N/A

With IDEFix

scsi.device unit 0 = HD
atapi.device unit 1 = CD-ROM
Old 26 August 2003, 14:10   #10
Severin

hmmm, weird, my 52x cdrom works fine using scsi.device as unit 1, maybe it's down to the make of the drive...
Old 27 August 2003, 02:44   #11
haribootje

Well I tried the IDEfix way. Installed it and hey presto, it is working like a charm.

Thanx guys for the help !!

Only thing happening now is that I get the insert disk screen, when starting the a4000. After a few tries it finally boots the harddisk then.
Old 27 August 2003, 08:53   #12
manicx

I was getting the boot screen too, but since I installed the 3.1 ROMS, I don't get it anymore.
Old 28 August 2003, 02:31   #13
adolescent