View Single Post
Old 27 October 2015, 23:16   #31
Daedalus

Wow... Look, this is all getting way out of hand. I too have programmed in all three, although I admit I haven't programmed much Assembly on the Amiga. For the meager benefits it gave me, I soon switched back to C and BASIC. Being able to type 10 lines of code and have a fully working GUI wins over ASM every time for me. My time for hobby programming is limited, and the time and effort it takes to program something in ASM means that I simply wouldn't bother at all.

For what it's worth, my MP3 decoder can decode 192kbps 44.1kHz stereo in realtime on an 060. Playing rubbish quality 22kHz mono music "just because" isn't anywhere on my to-do list. But anyway, that's not what it's for. Its main purpose is a general-purpose engine mainly for use with mhi.library for hardware decoding and the software engine is only provided for powerful enough Amigas - 060, emulation or nextgen.

Yes, of course ASM gives full freedom, but just because you have some above average skills in keeping track of everything all your ASM projects are doing doesn't mean us mere mortals should do things that way too. I see that freedom as living your life without using transport. Sure, you can get anywhere for free given enough time and dedication, but despite the cost, I'm much happier getting a train or driving, and I go places I would never go if I had to walk.

Page generated in 0.04819 seconds with 11 queries