View Single Post
Old 27 February 2017, 00:35   #12
Vollldo

Quote:
The Amiga version would need to be fully dismembered in order to rework the whole thing......
Out of topic. I can't do this, i don't have the knowledge to fully recode it. Because don't believe that just "to rework" on it would be enough to have a conversion of the same quality than the Pc-Engine one : all would have to be rewritten from scratch (video and scrolling routine, gfx, extra levels and the endless list of missing gameplay stuffs). And i doubt you would find someone to do a such task : Rainbow Island is not the example itself of an easy game to code. On a pure algorithmc, technical and gameplay point of view the coin-op version is a just marvel, one of the best ever done. People behind it are genuises. A lot of stuffs are missing in the Amiga version, to recode it would be a full time 1 year job for an asm expert even by disassembling the coin-op ROMs. A such game needs muuuch more knowledge in coding and algorithmic science than a game like Jim Power for example. A recoding will never happen, but a palette patch yes. All in all the Amiga port isn't so bad, it plays very well but they choosed too vivid colors.

When Taito lost the Bubble Bobble source code en 1996 they had to dissassemble the PCB and spend an endless time to play the game to be able to recode it. If it would have been simple to recode it from scratch (and back in the days they employed pure genius in coding) then they would have done this. The coin-op version of Bubble Bobble is also a coding marvel, and Rainbow Islands is at mnimum 10 times more hard to code. So...

Last edited by Vollldo; 27 February 2017 at 00:46.

Page generated in 0.04564 seconds with 11 queries