View Single Post
Old 26 February 2017, 01:36   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
Ok solved, the palette strings appears in the t +2 Slipstream cracked disk but not in the other ADF (compressed datas ?).

I started patching the palette to try to match the coin-op, but it's revealing a pain in the ass : in the Amiga version many colors are shared by several sprites or tiles, if you change one then it screws up something else elsewhere.

The first idea was to darken the sky and remove the agressive yellow in the platforms. Complicated because the sky color is used in the rainbow throwed by the player. Why the fuck didn't they use the light avaible blue, don't tell me it was reserved only for the main sprite ?!

Here my first attempt (level 1 only for now). Below the striations color inside the grey platform and the platform color itself have been modified to match at the nearest the coin-op palette. However, i saw later than the spider boss use the grey striation color as the background one, making my modification unappropriated (indeed the original background contrast is great). I used a different yellow for the platforms too, the average value between the Amiga color 0FF0 and the Coin-op one 0xF7E7A5 (expressed in 24-bit, the original coin-op palette is 13-bit, ie 2^13 = 8192 colors). Same kind of troubles, the lemon and rainbow use the original yellow color, so it can't be modified too much...

The main problem is this f****** blue circle arc used by the rainbow sprite. To modify the sky the rainbow gfx must be also modified to add a cyan circle arc. The flowers use the cyan color, so it could be really possible. A coder to the rescue to check the gfx use for the rainbow and tell if they can be instantly modified by adding a cyan layer ?

Seems to be hard to arrive to a compromise to approach the coin-op palette, any opinion is welcome.

The two first screenshort are taken from the Amiga version by running the hacked ADF in WinUAE, the last two ones from the coin-op. Another version than the coin-op could maybe be a good new base, i personnally never liked the yellow plateforms and the blue sky of the Amiga version (i prefer the CPC level 1 color tone for example).

If a graphist want to join and help to find a great new compromise then he is welcome !
16 colors when it could have been 5 bpl 32 colors

The game use 4-6 palettes of 16 colors

Page generated in 0.08098 seconds with 11 queries