View Single Post
Old 27 June 2010, 22:41   #20
Plagueis/KRX
coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I guess I'm saying that a profession that promised excitement 20 years ago, wasn't terrible 10 years ago, is a shit job for most today - and getting worse. Whereas programmers defined what software was and were the ones making the inventions 20 years ago, 10 years ago they only got orders from their superior and could at least enjoy the implementation, but today you are beset on all sides by the iniquities of custom frameworks and APIs as well, making sure you're a good citizen - "don't get any ideas, hear?"
Nice observations Photon...

ILoveBigBrother(); // If return error go to room 101

It bothered me too to see the way Red Hat went over the years, and the strategy for beating Windows was to become just like it (like Microsoft with source), rather than offering a richer computing environment in general, as I'd seen in the past, when I started off with Slackware back in 1996. It made me switch to FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Solaris at times.

Only recently have I been using Linux again regularly with Backtrack4 live distro, because of all the great security tools in one place, and IP forwarding in the kernel.

I agree that ARM assembly would be a great place for someone who wants to earn a living programming, plus use their own brain while they do it.

Cheers.

Page generated in 0.11026 seconds with 11 queries