View Single Post
Old 12 June 2021, 18:43   #28
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
you clearly have forgotten how many programs just screwed up when AGA was releaed... I haven't forgotten that..
This is not about "many programs" - this is about affecting Amiga as overall - i can accept loss of some demos and games (and conditional if sane mechanism of disabling extension exist).

Don't get me wrong - after AGA even more programs was created to replace those that no longer works and AGA is in general a good extension when compared to ICS/OCS/ECS. Could be of course better but... it could be like ECS.

Quote:
well AAA was never released so we do not know how it would affect existing software.
Well - after so many years this looks like something worth to be verified...

It is a shame that Commodore had no will to introduce some of those things in ECS/AGA.

Quote:
still give me ONE reason why you want to change the chipset registers risking incompability instead of doing it via what expansioncards does?
Because some things should available as standard for everyone...
Create unified HW with basic capabilities and allow those who are unsatisfied to add even better extension trough external expansion boards.
Beside - today Amiga is a hobby not business (at least for most of us)

Quote:
it is utterly pointless to do this. it wold only risc incompability. it would divide the amiga community even more as software needs to be for that specific solution.. instead of doing something that can be adopted to already existing solutions AND new.
Same as community will be divided by external cards... even more than by taking IC and replace it.

Quote:
change serialport. change serial.device to somethingh else THAT is exacly what I want. you change a device and you are done with it. instead of some weird chipset-thing that noone supports..
Or ... create trap to catch call to default UART and provide better functionality by using external serial (nowadays there is not to many devices using serial anyway so this is less relevant). But still such exception is better to be implemented in HW than in SW and HW.

Quote:
pointless is the word. totally pointless..

the chipsety as we have it now should be taken as STATIC. do not change, modify or so. not even bugfix.. all to keep compability.
For first step yes but as you introduce it trough programmable logic (FPGA) then next step will be add functionality - this is quite obvious.

Page generated in 0.04647 seconds with 11 queries