View Single Post
Old 06 August 2013, 21:42   #40
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalH View Post
Once resigned to that fact, I hope you at least have some fun destroying it. It can be quite cathartic :P
Well, it looks like I'm certainly going to have some fun here one way or the other. I've just had the secondary hard drive fail on the same machine! I couldn't believe it!

I do have one good thing to report, though: I had just completed backing it up! How lucky is that? However, having returned the machine back to standard configuration, that hard drive failed when I next booted it up.

It could be that the secondary hard drive controller has failed; the DVD-ROM drive on that channel wasn't detected either. But I'm inclined to think it might be the PSU. It's difficult to test all the supply voltages with the machine fully assembled in its desktop case, so I've decided that tomorrow I will strip the machine completely apart, give everything a good clean and then test the PSU to start with, repair or replace it if necessary and then refit everything back in the case, powering it up and checking each component as I go.

This is my main emulation machine, so it's vital that I get it fully working again soon. I have a great selection of spares, including two identical motherboards, so I'm hoping it's only a matter of time and patience.

Page generated in 0.13032 seconds with 11 queries