View Single Post
Old 20 March 2022, 17:19   #1
dreadnought

How to create a HDF partition bigger than 1GB?

I would like to create some hdfs which are less than 4GB in size, but have just one big partition on them.

I'm using WB 3.1 and this "Minimig hdf creation" guide. It's a bit old but mostly ok, I had used it before and successfuly made some hdfs. I think at least some of these hdfs were bigger than 1GB, though now not 100% sure.

I get stuck on the step where you're supposed to Partition Drive. I delete the existing partition. Then try to drag the slider to fill the one big partition, but every time I get past 1GB, it gets a bit weird, size starts counting from zero and I'm unable to create that whole partition (only some fractional ones).

I've asked about it already in the Embarrassing Questions megathread, and was advised to bypass dragging the slider method. So I tried going to the Advanced Options and filling the values manually, but without any success - the Partitioning still seems to rely on the slider and makes partitions accordingly to the diagram.

My values (Start Cyl / End Cyl /Total Cyl) were calculated for 1.4GB sized hdf, based on the Default ones when you start the Partitioning tool (it shows 2x699 partitions). They might be totally wrong, I don't know.

So basically I start the Partitioning on this hdf, delete existing partitions, enter the (Start Cyl / End Cyl /Total Cyl) values and press ok. The result is hdf partitioned according to the diagram, so usually some small partition.

About "changing the geometry" advice I'm not sure how to approach this and what values to use.

Page generated in 0.04298 seconds with 11 queries