View Single Post
Old 17 May 2022, 10:02   #1
ImmortalA1000

Even with all my memories of using an Amiga 1000 gone.....

It's still the nicest, and more importantly best designed and built, Amiga of all time. More importantly it doesn't develop any stupid faults like the A600/1200/4000/CD32 bullshit SMT motherboards with their 1 out 4 sound channels going AWOL etc.

I unpacked two Amiga 1000 systems and after a bit of manic searching for the Kickstart 1.3 disks(!) everything worked perfectly.

The keyboard is better than the keyboard on the most expensive PC/Mac millennials blow thousands on, the fan is so well engineered it is near silent and the build quality is far in excess of any computer on sale in PC world today.

Sadly I don't really remember much about when I owned an Amiga 1000 in the late eighties but that little melody the A1000 plays to test that both left and right phono outputs are connected to your TV/speakers I do remember and is just one of those things that make it charming.

I am beginning to see exactly why the Amiga 1000 was the best computer ever sold to the general public, there is nothing else like it, no other Amiga comes close to this combination of build quality, design excellence, the most powerful computer Joe Public could ever get his hands on let alone spastic machines like Mac 512 or IBM PC AT doorstops of 1986. Commodore dropped the ball big time, by the time the A500/2000 machines went on sale after 9 months of Commodore abandoning the Amiga 1000 the Acorn Archimedes was here, that powerful elegant diminutive machine is the spiritual successor to the A1000 as a concept and it cost less than a 1mb A500 in 1987.

It's a bit like when I say "I watched Star Wars yesterday" obviously I am talking about 'Episode IV:A New Hope' ditto with "I unpacked my Amiga yesterday" means I unpacked my 'Amiga 1000'

I wish they weren't so expensive, every Amiga fan should have the opportunity to own an Amiga 1000.

Page generated in 0.04457 seconds with 11 queries