View Single Post
Old 07 February 2017, 13:01   #15
Master484

I just uploaded an improved version, which has been added to the attachments of the first post.

Changes in version 2:

- Player sprite now always moves at 50 FPS.
- 15 % better BOB drawing speed and more consistent frame rate.
- added info texts to screen panel area, which show current Object amount (text updates every 4th seconds)
- 2 crash bugs fixed ( such as "move to up right corner and press space" )

---

Drawing speed is now much better. On A500 we can have 13 enemies or 29 bullets at 25 FPS.

And Player sprite is now updated from the VBlank interrupt, and it's always drawn at 50 FPS, even with 100+ objects on screen.

On A1200 speed is either 17 enemies and an amazing 50 bullets at 25 FPS. I guess A1200 is so good at drawing the bullets because the collision detection routines are so much faster thanks to the 2x faster CPU.

Also collisions and background draw is now done during frame 1, and object draw + bitmap "Show" is done during frame 2. This allowed 15 % more drawing power.

And speaking about the collisions, I currently use the standard collsion routine command of Blitz ( RectsHit ), which is good, but not the fastest possible way...so I think later I'll add the custom routines from my Megaman X project, and collision check speed should improve about 10%-20% from what it is now.

---

So, this looks quite good, a 32 color shmup is certainly possible with this techinque. And if everything would be drawn in 16 color mode instead of 32 colors, then we could draw maybe 15 % - 20 % more, and still have a separate 16 color sprite palette for 16 "extra" colors. I think I'll test this too, could even run at 50 FPS, at least on A1200.

Page generated in 0.04623 seconds with 11 queries