View Single Post
Old 05 February 2017, 18:49   #9
Master484

Quote:
impresive demo
I think it's good time to ask which is faster
bitting few big bobs or a lot of small bobs?
Blitting a few big bobs is almost always faster.

For example one 32*32 BOB is faster than four 16*16 BOBs, despite both of them covering the exact same pixel amount on screen.

I think I once made tests with the "BBlit" command, where I counted that 40 % of the command time actually went to the BBlit operation itself, because it saves the background area under the BOB first and also BBlit requires the "Unbuffer" command every frame, which adds even more slowdown. And so only 60 % of the BBlit command time went to the actual drawing process of the image. This was for 16 color BOBs. But I can't remember how I actually got these numbers.

---

But the faster "Blit" command that is used in this demo doesn't have the extra overhead of "BBlit", and so it can draw large amounts of even those small 8*8 bullets.

But still the bigger 32*32 BOBs are faster to draw, if you simply compare the pixel amounts blitted: it takes as many as 16 8*8 bullets to cover the same pixel area than one 32*32 BOB covers. And in this demo you can have exactly ten 32*32 enemies on screen without slowdown. The same pixel amount covered by 8*8 bullets would need 160 bullets, and that would cause huge slowdown, despite the 160 bullet graphics having the same combined pixel amount than those 10 enemies.

Last edited by Master484; 05 February 2017 at 18:56.

Page generated in 0.08404 seconds with 11 queries