View Single Post
Old 05 February 2017, 09:46   #7
Master484

Quote:
You should spread out background updates evenly across frames. Here's one way to do it:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80646
Yes, currently the background scroll rate "lives" too much, I'll try to fix this for the next version.

Also I hope get the Player sprite running at 50 FPS, no matter how slow everything else runs; reading the joystick + doing ShowSprite on the vertical blank interrupt should be able to achieve this.

And then this would be almost like Battle Squadron, which uses Player + Scroll at 50 FPS and enemies at 25 FPS.

Although getting the scroll to 50 FPS in this demo is impossible, thanks to the "draw everything every frame" system; when the background is drawn, all objects too need to be drawn immediately afterwards, and this limits the frame rate to 25 FPS at maximum.

---

But I think SEUCK games too run at 25 FPS at maximum, and quickly drop to 17 FPS or less when action gets too much. Or did they even have 17 FPS as the maximum frame rate, I can't remember? So compared to that, this is looking good: we have the same frame rate as SEUCK, but with 32 colors instead of 8+8 colors, and we are still able to draw a little bit more objects I think.

Who knows, if I have time, maybe I could even turn this engine into "SEUCK on steroids"...32 colors, infinite object amounts on screen, music support, powerups and other goodies, with frame rates comparable to Xenon 2, SEUCK and other "average" Amiga shmups...doesn't sound too bad at all.

Page generated in 0.04498 seconds with 11 queries