View Single Post
Old 24 March 2023, 22:04   #17
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
Lethal Zone is indeed one of the best examples of dual playfield use in a shmup.

[ Show youtube player ]

Only 7+8 colors, but looks great, runs at 50 FPS, and feels very console/arcade like thanks to the parallax.

Necronom also uses dual playfield and runs at 50 FPS. But instead of having two scrolling layers, it uses the back playfield for the level, and the front playfield for moving objects. This can increase drawing speed because you don't have to repair the background every frame.
That game looks interesting.

I never knew Necronom was dual playfield, interesting way to maximise chipset bandwidth efficiency without the hassle blind blits on a 5 bitplane screen creates.

Hopefully my Gotek troubles will be sorted soon enough and I can actually check out some games on my A1000 with a Zipstik, looking at YT vids on a modern HD display isn't the best way to pick these things. Because I had all the usual 16bit consoles (no NeoGeo) I didn't really buy Amiga shmups so it's not really an area I know about, plus all the pirate disk collections that came bundled with various machines are not really the sort of games I would play so Agony is one of the few I have that work (graphics are too big for the play area IMO and I nearly longplayed it on my second go with no cheats).

Page generated in 0.06214 seconds with 11 queries