View Single Post
Old 26 March 2021, 09:30   #16
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Ok. Seems a strange approach to me though, but you can use whatever you want - just want to give an overview of why others might take another approach.

If I’m targetting 16 bit file output though, I would ask myself why would I be restricting myself to a 4 channel mod, I’d be producing a proper DAW versions with real filters and sounds from my synths.
Even the Amiga went this way with CDDA tracks on CD32 titles. I tend to avoid this if writing a mod becuase my target is likely to be a disk based amiga program.

If I’m trying to work with “the lowest common denominator” - ie it’s a mod but I do an output wav, then I would be choosing to work within the limits - I.e I’d be unlikely to want to sacrifice a channel, and if I’m not using short samples, eg final mod size is probably going to be too large for whatever machine requires the mod in the first place (back in the late 90s I was very guilty of this due to the “everyone should have a hard drive now” mentality) , and as you’ve said, the other technique it’s not even known if it will work with the player routine, so I would personally likely avoid it.

It’s interesting to discuss the merits though

Page generated in 0.06893 seconds with 11 queries