View Single Post
Old 23 April 2024, 18:08   #3790
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Your attempts to equate 8514 with Amiga 2D acceleration are misleading.

Your attempts to equate 8514 with Amiga 2D acceleration are misleading.
Obviously you are playing fool using this argument as i explicitly told you earlier that i'm not put equation mark between Amiga HW graphic acceleration and IBM 8514 - they are designed with completely different target - Amiga was STANDARD and as such software commonly USE HW acceleration (except poorly done software ports) - 8514 was not standard but per se begin standardization process (this process took in PC almost 10 years). 8514 is important on PC as foundation of some process - process started by 8514 never created standard HW acceleration on PC but created different, software centric approach where standard software API allow to use different HW.

Quote:
It's the opposite. Bill Sydnes executed the IBM "PCJr" mindset.

Read https://www.landley.net/history/mirr...re/haynie.html

Dave Haynie:
When he got to Engineering, he hired a human bus error called Bill Sydnes to take over. Sydnes, a PC guy, didn t have the chops to run a computer, much less a computer design department. He was also an ex-IBMer, and spent much time trying to turn C= (a fairly slick, west-coast-style design operation), into the clunky mess that characterized the Dilbert Zones in most major east-coast-style companies. He and Ali also decided that AA wasn t going to work, so they cancelled both AA projects (Amiga 3000+ and Amiga 1000+, either one better for the market than the A4000 was), and put it all on the backburner, intentionally blowing the schedule by six+ months. They cancelled the A500, which was the only actively selling product ever cancelled in C= history, to my knowledge, and replaced it with the A600. The A600 was originally the A300, George Robbins's idea of a cheaper-than-A500 Amiga; a new line, not a replacement. Sydnes added so much bloat, the A600 was $50 more than the A500, $100 over the goal price.

Gould wasn't directly involve, but he did hire Ali. Ali hired Bill Sydnes. Ali didn't factor in Bill Sydnes' IBM PCJr failure record.

Ali fired Bill Sydnes after A300(A600) debacle.

Ali hired Lew Eggebrecht.
Once again - my assumption is that you will not find anyone on EAB having different opinion than yours on this but this happened and this happening all the time when big names are hired and all they bring is misery...
Strangely those big names are covered with dome PTFE coating so they are never get responsibility for flop and they are again and again hired in other companies. But this will not made Amiga faith different so beating dead Gould or anyone else with biggest bat you can find will not change time.

Quote:
David Pleasance's Commodore the Inside Story book has Amigas must be hardware capable directive's origin and A300's resulting cost blowout, blames Commodore Germany.
David is living legend - cool guy but i share TCD point of view: https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...84&postcount=4
This overall thread is interesting.

Quote:
That's bullshit. There is no absolutes.
Perhaps - but real life is sometimes nasty "beach".

Quote:
You're wrong with "nowadays when no one use HW graphic acceleration and everything is made on fast CPU".

At some point, every 2D/3D accelerator becomes decelerator. It happens when a software solution becomes faster than the hardware-assisted one.

De-acceleration is mocked in the gaming PC world. Hardware accelerated solution needs to keep pace ahead of the CPU software solution.

My point is with the late 1980s into early 1990s i.e. A1200's release and R&D phase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GraphicsPro...han/?rdt=53051

HW acceleration using same technology as CPU will be always faster than CPU. Your observation can be true only in case where HW acceleration (and overall system architecture) is severely delayed technologically when compared to CPU.
Today we observe that GPU's are more powerful than CPU's (simple transistor count, silicone area etc shows this).
So yeas we all know that Amiga HW severely lagged behind overall technological progress.

Page generated in 0.04307 seconds with 11 queries