View Single Post
Old 05 April 2021, 17:59   #6
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd324 View Post
I guess creating a video will be easier. Sorry about the unsynchronised frame rate and you'll have to run it in the best resolution to see things better!
That seems very odd indeed...

Quote:
There is also Icons>Snapshot further down below. From what I read, I can only see "Window" being mentioned; I think if you display Workbench as a backdrop then it is not a considered a Window. Does this mean undefined behaviour, then? That would explain what I am seeing. But, I do not think this happens on 3.9/3.1.
No, a backdrop window is still a window, and snapshotting like that should still work fine, and has always done for me in 3.1.4, 3.9 and 3.1. The snapshotting process iterates through each of the icons in turn, but I think it stops when it encounters an issue so if one of the .info files can't be written, any later on in the queue don't get written either.

Quote:
Anyway, let me know if I am doing something terribly stupid! I really must be, because I cannot find anyone else with this issue.
I can't see anything obvious that could be causing it, so I don't think it's anything terribly stupid at all

Quote:
In the meantime, I might try directly writing to the ICON file using the actual icon library's PutDiskObject() API in a small program at the beginning(-ish) of startup-sequence to see if that makes a difference. All I know is that when I pull the INFO structure using GetDiskObject() the x and y values change again on reboot so - surely - something is writing to them?
Indeed, if the actual values in the file are getting rewritten, something else is going on there. Are the changes not getting saved to disk, but to a cache or something? That still doesn't explain why it only happens when in backdrop mode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd324 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am surrounded in Amigas but too lazy to test this exact same thing out on 3.9 or 3.1. If someone can and confirm that it works in those versions then in my opinion this is a bad thing, although, looking at Hyperion's definition of snapshot you cannot argue that they are not fore-filling what they state, since Snapshot only talks about Windows.
As I said above, it works as you expect it to in all versions from 3.0 on at least, possibly even 2.x too. A backdrop window is still considered a window, and all the relevant window-specific functions still work on it.

Page generated in 0.04675 seconds with 11 queries