View Single Post
Old 05 March 2021, 14:19   #185
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
I wanted to mention that when Doom initially came out, it was actually terrible for MOST of the platforms that existed then, even PC!

386, 486, 68K, Megadrive 32x, Super Famicom / SNES, etc... were all sub 15FPS slide shows!

Even the PC need a VGA card + SB audio card to get anything good out of it and those were not necessarily standard box builds.

Only the PSX and Jaguar, not Saturn version were relatively good but they slowed that down to a survival horror version with awesome game ambiance (my opinion) and cutout a lot of content. 3D0 Doom didn't even pull it off and had to use the same cut down console version, but it had a better music track.

GameBoy Advance Doom was alright actually after they scaled the game down significantly but that came out years later.

It was really 486-100 or Pentiums that made Doom FAST and smooth even then. I remember my first Pentium 133, 200MMX and it ran it Doom finally "acceptable".

But accelerated 68K can do it well but lacked marketshare due to price.

Here is an ongoing port to the Sharp X68000 with built in 25MHz 030 emulated (my next favorite PC):

[ Show youtube player ]

It is still a work in progress for the FULL PC version, but the game itself needs an accelerated architecture over the basic Amiga 1200 without chopping it down.

PS: The killer for the Amiga was not Doom. It was "relatively" cheap base PCs with easy upgrade path, despite being slower, that made OCS/ECS, Atari ST, Macs and even pre-PSX consoles look just "old".

Single architecture, upgradeable RAM, CPU, Video, Sound, Network - all options, that created a unified software base (DOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 98 etc...) that really killed the Amiga.

Even Amigas or Macs that were on PAR or faster, Amiga 3000, 4000, Mac Quadras were way expensive as those were full buys upfront vs pay as you go for the PC.

Easy to sell mom on a 499 or 699 PC, and let "dad" or yourself "upgrade it" later with VGA, Sound Blaster or ADlib sound cards, network cards sales over IPX when Doom came out was the thing, and etc...
Doom on my dx2 66 was fine very good indeed but was a maxed out PC not every one back then was a young gamer we did come in older flavours

Never see a dx2 66 running Doom like a slide show unless it was some pile of **** bought off the shelf.

Last edited by freehand; 05 March 2021 at 20:51.

Page generated in 0.04628 seconds with 11 queries