Thread: Commander X16
View Single Post
Old 15 October 2022, 09:18   #17
Trunchis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
But the again why not, might be a small niche but for those who are involved, it seems to bring them joy. What does it really matter if it is identified as a viable platform or not ;-)
The charm of the old systems is that they are limited, but by creating your own system you get to decide what those limits are and then be happy playing around with it.
I get the appeal as an open-source hobbyist project. As a commercial product? Not so much. Maybe I'm not particularly thrilled about modern machines with such strict hardware limits. Back in the day, all we wanted was hardware that didn't have such limits. At the end of the day, unless you're a developer or want to get into development, this doesn't seem like a particularly appealing option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I like that it's not FPGA but a real chip. There's something alluring about that.
I mean, an FPGA is as much of a real chip as an ASIC. How it behaves is all down to the logic programming. In this case, they clearly went the ASIC route for the CPU because it made more sense than coming up with a new FPGA implementation. The X16 does have an FPGA for its graphics, sound and SC card access, though, so it's not like it's strictly using original hardware.

Page generated in 0.07069 seconds with 11 queries