View Single Post
Old 20 June 2017, 00:09   #7
Shadowfire

I purchased two Rys Mk. 2 adapters from Amigakit.com, in order to hook up a modern optical mouse to my Amiga 500/Amiga 2000.
Changing the mouse speed is performed by pushing in on a recessed button (needs a toothpick) on the adapter and rolling the mouse left or right.
The unit cannot plug directly into an A2000. It is too tall for the cutout slots in the case. I needed to use a DB9 extension cable to get the unit to connect to the A2000.
I performed my tests with a Logitech M100 mouse; according to the 7-bit.pl web site, it has been confirmed to work.
While it does work, it unfortunately suffers from mouse DE-celeration. I noticed this when I went to go play a game of Lemmings (booting off of an image from a Cortex Amiga emulator, so no OS intervention); it was incredibly frustrating to try and get precision movement to select the individual lemmings in the main display.
I turned down the mouse speed all the way to minimum, and the problem with getting the cursor in the exact spot surprisingly did NOT get less aggravating.
I rebooted to the Kickstart boot selection screen, and played around with the mouse; this is where I figured out why I was being so incredibly frustrated with the mouse control. (This mouse is a workhorse on one of my Windows XP machines, and works fine on it)
As a test, I put the cursor on the left border, picked up the mouse and put it flush with the left side of my mousepad, and slowly pushed the mouse to the right until the cursor reached the right side of the screen.
I again reset the cursor to the left side of the screen, re-positioned the mouse flush with the left side of the mousepad, and quickly moved it to where the mouse was previously for a full screen movement.
The results are, that the cursor moves to between 1/3 and 1/2 way across the screen when the mouse is moved quickly. The Rys Mk2 unit is literally applying mouse Deceleration when you move it quickly. I tried it with another Logitech M100 to be sure (I have 4 of them lying around) and they all behaved in this manner; I did a quick test on the Amiga 500 with the other Rys Mk2 adapter, and behavior seemed identical; I finally hooked the mouse back up to the Windows XP machine and disabled mouse acceleration, and repeated the same test; on the Windows XP machine, the pointer moved the same distance regardless of how quickly I moved the mouse.
Does this prevent usage of the unit? No. What it does do, however, is destroy any chance at fine pointer control. It will work as long as you aren’t doing anything that requires more precision than clicking on icons. Once you start looking at things like Dpaint and Lemmings, however, this is certainly not the solution you are looking for, at least until the firmware gets fixed.
As a side note, I did register a complaint about the mouse deceleration on the 7-bit.pl web site, and have not received a response.

Page generated in 0.07621 seconds with 11 queries