View Single Post
Old 28 May 2018, 12:49   #8
Gorf

I think one problem is the term "Next/New Generation".
All three are either vintage and/or outdated themselves from a todays perspective or never reached a "production level" status, like AROS.

Trying to stay more or less compatible to the original API and trying to offer a experience that is very close to that of the classic Amiga is both: goal and burden at the same time.

that's why the other thread (the boring API, ISA and so one discussion) tried to rise the question what a modern system might look like and if that would be still Amigaoid.
Probably not, as everybody has his/her very own definition what makes an Amiga and what features are essential and what not....

From the mentioned trio AOS4, MOS and AROS, i think the last one has the biggest potential, as it can run native (and hosted) on modern hardware and different architectures ...
Sadly it is missing developers and general interest and the overall experience can be quite frustrating - for users and developers alike

A couple of years ago there was a big AROS bug-fixing and code-cleanup effort, that improved usability greatly and was a success ... but sadly not a lasting thing.
I hope this can be repeated for ABIv1 in not so far future.

Page generated in 0.06398 seconds with 11 queries