View Single Post
Old 21 September 2021, 06:22   #10
Jpor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
LOL! - Had another blonde moment there didn't I. It's definitely summat to with getting 0ld0r....

However, take heed.

Whilst it might appear to be just a case of you swapping the CPU for the Faster part & change the relevant X-Tal to run the 040 @ it's suggested speed, it's not because of several factors.

I'd leave the 50Mhz X-Tal alone. That X-Tal plus a selection of soldered resistors give the PPC Chip is Multiplier & resultant CPU Speed. You could fry the PPC Chip if you do this by clocking it beyond a safe frequency..

As you have the + version, she has on board SCSI II. Most SCSI controllers don't like being overclocked. - If I understand correctly, overclocking from 25Mhz to 33Mhz will also overclock the SCSI Bus on these cards as well. Even if it appears to work without issue, over use & time, she just might loose her magic smoke because you fried the SCSI Logic too.

A 33Mhz 040 should give you around 23 MIPS over an 040 @ 25Mhz yielding approximately 19 MIPS. - 4 Million Instructions a Second more is not to be sniffed at when you're chugging away @ 19, but as already mentioned, is it worth the risk?

A dead 4 MIPS faster board is not worth as much as an original working board. For the small increase in performance in this Day & Age, I'd leave it alone.

At worst, swap it for a Newer part & run cooler at the same speed.
Thanks for the advice

I’m just wondering though how the 603e + with the 060 and overclocked boards cope when the 060 is overclocked to 66mhz? From your explanation above this shouldn’t be done either?

Page generated in 0.05365 seconds with 11 queries