View Single Post
Old 29 July 2020, 23:27   #40
colinvella

Hi,

I am currently writing the code for a game called The Shadows of Sergoth, a dungeon crawler style game, in AMOS Basic Pro, which will be published by Double Sided Games. Tenshu is in charge of the graphics and another person is in charge of music and audio. For the record, I'd like to state that I have had no issues whatsoever working with the team and with Double Sided Games.

Prior to Sergoth, I have collaborated on another game with Tenshu, called Barbarian+. It was his concept (an enhancement of the original Barbarian) and he was looking for an Amiga coder to work with. One more person, who goes by the username JMD took care of the music. The game was released for free as a fan tribute to the original.

I have also contributed to Black Dawn Rebirth (also by DSG) by coding the game's intro and the HDD Installer.

Concerning Super Metal Hero, without going into details that might lead to more caustic behaviour, Tenshu and Mike Gibbs at some point agreed to collaborate by combining Tenshu's game concept art for a platform game, with Mike's platform game engine (at which point was using Mike's own graphics and was called Mikey's Land). They also agreed to work under the wing of Double Sided Games.

At some point, this collaboration ended (for reasons to which I was partly a witness), and Tenshu and Mike went their separate ways. Tenshu retained his artwork, while Mike walked away with his own game engine. Both are at liberty to make what they will with their own intellectual property.

Where I come into the story, is that after I finish working on The Shadows of Sergoth, I was approached to start working on the game engine for Super Metal Hero. We have decided to work with Blitz Basic 2 since it has AGA support out of the box, the ability to bypass the OS (Blitz mode) and a number of language features not present in AMOS that might be handy. As per the initial version powered by Mike's engine, the new engine will use AGA dual play field, consisting of two parallax layers of 16 colours each, with the use of the copper for additional colours such as a sky gradient. Unlike the first engine, scrolling will not be forced.

As a game developer, and a member of the Amiga community, I hope that something good will come out of the unfortunate sequence of events that led to the end of the original collaboration, that is, that there will be another platform game for the Amiga, aside from Super Metal Hero. To this end, I wish Mike Gibbs the best of luck.

Regarding the recent video for Super Metal Hero, this is a "prototype" implemented by Tenshu himself with Construct 3, a modern game engine that can target Windows, Android phones etc. (but, sadly, not the Amiga!). The prototype serves as live game specification for the Amiga version, but also opens the possibility to release the game for modern platforms.

I hope this helps clarify some of the questions.

Cheers,
Colin

Page generated in 0.05753 seconds with 11 queries