View Single Post
Old 03 November 2022, 10:43   #5
Lianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebajaguy View Post
Hung LED = likely termination problem.

Mobo may or may not have 3 removable SIP terminators, and your HD, at the other end of the cable (SCSI bus) also needs to have termination enabled.
Yeah, I know a hung LED means it is likely a termination problem, and I've definitely had to resolve such issues in the past. Always managed to, until last night.

Quote:
If there are none on the mobo, there needs to be an external DB25 termination module (does the same duty). The rule is that termination needs to be at the 2 most distant points of the SCSI bus.
The resistor arrays on the motherboard are not populated. I've not yet tried populating them, but given that plugging in the external terminator on the DB25 connector locks it up all the same I don't think that's the solution either, and it would stop the external port from being usable. It's one of the few things left to try that I haven't yet ... though in the past I've never needed to either (passive external terminator has always worked fine).

Quote:
Do turn off the Sync setting in the CMOS bits if on. It makes it more sensitive to bus termination irregularities.
Yeah tried that, doesn't help.

Quote:
(speculation) The ZuluSCSI might not like the Sync negotiation query - there are devices that hang when the (typically) at-boot-scan query is made.
Sure, though just connecting a terminator or harddrive on the bus (no ZuluSCSI), properly terminated or not ... always a hung LED. Attaching anything to this bus causes a hung LED. Can't get to the Early Startup Screen when this happens.

Quote:
the 33C93A almost always has the PROTO label on the silkscreen. -04 was the common chip shiped. The -08 was the last version, and was the best one to have (C= never was good at working around the earlier bugs in it with some equally odd devices' firmware not helping maters).

Maybe locate an active SCSI termination module - they are better than passive at times.

If using an active terminator is my last resort then I'll try finding one, but it used to work fine in the past.

Page generated in 0.04445 seconds with 11 queries