View Single Post
Old 07 November 2016, 20:28   #19
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
However, we lack the manual, this one contains the protection codes, can you scan it for HOL please ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
.....you can remove the manual protection using Maverick, Lockpick or RawCopy. They all have a dedicated parameter to remove the manual protection for Super C.
For anyone interested, I've upped a deprotected ADF of my Super C original to the Zone. Just wanted to see how good a job the Lockpick parameter would do in removing the manual protection. Turns out that it just does the minimum and still requires players to enter a 4 digit code (anything will do!), as opposed to getting rid of the manual prompt altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
@BarryB, Denis
Nice work, they're more legible and definitely much better for printing purposes......but scanning the code sheet in greyscale last night gained similar results. What I was wondering is whether any "sorcery" can achieve something similar in terms of legibility whilst retaining the original colours and minimising fading/washout?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Any better?
Yep, nice work once again! I had a quick play around too using GIMP and managed to almost eliminate fading/washout altogether and was able to isolate the text to blacken it further. Most of the text shows up nicely, but there are a few areas where there is a bit of washout that needs to be manually touched up. If it requires too much work touching up, then I'll simply up what you produced to the HOL entry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSN View Post
About the bold part, I always found that amusing. The abbreviation was a considerably discussed topic on various forums throughout the years in the past. I think they decided to dub it Commando as part of the same reason they abbreviated it, which was to avoid certain political references. It was kind of funny that people wondered what the C stood for, even though they owned the box/manual to the NES game and it more or less had the answer on there. It's also on the DOS version, of course, but that's really just because the box (and manual) for that and this Amiga version is the exact same.

I have documented the Super C Amiga game the most that I could, but I do wonder if it has any cheat codes that are simply not known yet; the DOS version has one through a simple key combination during gameplay.

Many thanks again!
You're very welcome! I kinda wondered if the Iran-Contra affair might've had something to do with the fun & games that Konami were perpetrating on the naming of the game in North America. Perhaps it would've been understandable when the Super Contra coin-op was released in 1988 (but for whatever reason they resisted the temptation at that point to shorten it to Super C), but it just doesn't make sense for them to have done it a couple of years later in 1990 for the Amiga/PC/NES home conversions.....especially as they ham it up and refer to the "Super Commando Hall of Fame" on the Ami/PC game box (something that wasn't on the NES box!).

As for cheat codes, I've never seen any published anywhere for the Ami version of Super C. Someone with cracking/coding skills could probably give you a definitive answer if they took the time to take a closer look through the code. A quick go with Action Replay, though, might give clues as to whether there are any built-in cheats.

BTW you mention "documenting" the Ami conversion of Super C. Do you run a Contra webshrine, by any chance?

Last edited by DrBong; 13 November 2016 at 19:56.

Page generated in 0.07026 seconds with 11 queries