View Single Post
Old 09 January 2016, 22:29   #69
ovale

It is true that cartridges are more expensive and require to prepare a inventory much expensive than floppies.

But... there are some kind of games that are sort of granted success. I think about follow ups and arcade conversions.

I personally bought a SNES when I still had my Amiga just to play a proper version of street fighter 2.

If SF2 was available on cartridge for Amiga, with the same quality of the SNES version, and the pirate version was not then I would have happily paid the cost of a cartridge.

To work with console makers was not all roses and kisses. They had the last word on the content of the game, the cost of the media and when it was time to release it. You had to submit the 'gold' of the game in your allocated slot or you had to wait for the next free slot. This is a problem on periods like Christmas. You also had to pay upfront for the game and be subject to their timing. There was also politics around what title should had the support of the console marker and what not.

All in all, to have a viable alternative to Sega, Sony and Nintendo would have been extremely valuable for game studios. Enough to support the development of an additional version of the game and the R&D around cartridges for Amiga.

I guess that studios didn't get this immediately and when they understood, it was too late. The Amiga market was dissolving, they were dependent from console makers and no one proved the media or had the required skills.

Page generated in 0.40887 seconds with 11 queries