View Single Post
Old 24 February 2021, 00:14   #15
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogs View Post
I talked to my dad today a bit regarding the comments and he brought up that the marketing of the Amiga in the US was very different than in Europe.

In the US, the Amiga (what became the 1000) was sold as a business computer that you could have in the home not as a game machine.

Now, with what we know now, we know that the Amiga team intended it as a game machine that could be used as a computer but that's not how it was marketed in the US when it came out.

Perhaps a better title would have been why the Amiga didn't thrive as a business computer since it later found a niche in home video editing and with the Video Toaster graphics work.

The what-ifs on if the Amiga had been marketed as a *console* with computing abilities, which is somewhat how the Amiga 500 was handled in Europe, by Commodore from the start combined with better management to keep the hardware competitive would be a fun discussion.

But I had not, until I talked to my dad, ever heard anyone bring up that the things most people used a computer for in 1985, spreadsheets and word processors or later, desktop publishing (like on the Mac) weren't viable on the Amiga because of a lack of character mode and the Denise chip's 640x200. One wonders how things might have gone if the Denise ship had gotten 640x400 non-interlaced when the Amiga 2000 first came out instead of in 1990 with ECS.

BTW, I have two Amigas. An Amiga 1000 and an Amiga 2000 that I still have around in working condition. Apologies if anyone thought my post was "flammable". I just found my dad's comments interesting since I hadn't heard that perspective before.
I think this was a great question and nothing "flammable" about it - the Amiga was definitely seen in a different light from different countries. I am still trying to figure out how the Amiga was viewed here in Japan, no one seems to know about it

Page generated in 0.06854 seconds with 11 queries