View Single Post
Old 23 September 2022, 22:46   #94
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that the UHC installation took a while, but since I did most of the testing on a RAD I forgot about it. Adding another additional line isn't no problem.
English isn't my first language, so errors are expected to happen. But I will probably put more work in the guide. If I remember correctly there are some special features I want try.

That's why I mentioned that it probably won't work with UHC already installed. Adding a check to circumvent this is not hard, but it seems unnecessary. I rather work on expanding the script to make the whole disk installable on a HDD. Then installing the original would almost be obsolete. But then updating UHC from the shell wouldn't be as easy, because the assign/path is only set when UHC-GUI is running. That's why I also asked for a way to update from the GUI itself.

The issue is that I'm not providing any (unpacked) executables, the entire installer uses scripts to download the packages and then just copies the minimum amount of files to the disk. I could add an extra step to download a cruncher first but that seems weird.
Since the disk is mainly used for emulated systems, I was considering using a HD disk instead of a DD disk, but I'm not sure if people would recognize the difference and check their settings. But as long as everything fits, I won't bother thinking about it.
A thought comes to mind after using your disk/script for a while, esp when concerning your problems with limited space on a floppy and the need to keep something instantly useable which you mentioned by not wanting to use a HDF.

So.

How about using a RAM/RAD Disk? instead of your script spending time writing into the limitations of the ADF/880k floppy, why dont you just mount a RAD Disk which by default is 880k by way of HighCyl=79, that HighCyl can be upped to any size you like and you can download/unpack to the created RAD disk at much quicker speeds and the RAD disk can just be any size you like and you can include anything you like within reason and memory limits for your targeted audience.

I tried it in part by using this

Code:
Activate        = 1
Device		= ramdrive.device
Unit		= 0
Flags		= 0
LowCyl          = 0
HighCyl         = 79
Surfaces	= 2
SectorsPerTrack	= 11
SectorSize      = 512
Reserved	= 2
Interleave	= 0
Buffers		= 5
BufMemType	= 1
Bog standard RAD Disk stuff right there, saved it as UHCInst and can just mount it from icon or just by calling.

Code:
Mount UHCInst: From DEVS:DOSDrivers/UHCInst
I Think it mounted as Device: UHCInst with a label of RAM_0: so i just called Relabel UHCInst: UHCInst to look a bit more tidy.

So this would mean your disk could remain a pure install disk, you wouldnt have to write/delete anything to your Install Disk as it would make a RAD disk and download/organise anything needed to there instead.

I Forget how you set its bootpriority to negatives so on reset/reboot it wont try to boot from it instead of the emulated boot drive.
EDIT: Aha, thsi to the rescue: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=40009

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 23 September 2022 at 22:52.

Page generated in 0.18415 seconds with 11 queries