View Single Post
Old 12 October 2021, 08:03   #18
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
I know Apollo anything is a contentious topic, but let's not go overboard. There is no Commodore and nobody can "force" a standard in the Amiga world. They're offering a product, like Picasso96 or CybergraphX, which may or may not win enough support to become a de facto standard.

Someone more familiar with SAGA would be able to say more about the advantages over RTG. As I understand it, it would be easier to progressively enhance a OCS/AGA game to add SAGA features, whereas RTG is entirely different system which shares no roots with the Amiga chipset at all, and therefore you might as well be coding for any platform.

At the moment, it doesn't look like it's going to get that uptake. But if the spec were finalised, documented and set in stone for a few years (an ASIC would help), you never know. But nobody's going to come to anybody's house and put a gun to their head forcing them to use SAGA. That's just more of the personality-driven arguments that surround this product.
In Your opinion is one logic mistake. You are mixing software and hardware. Whilst CyberGraphiX and Picasso96 are software standards with drivers to many cards, SAGA is artificial (and still in creation) hardware, which have drivers to mentioned above standards. And problem is that SAGA is "adding" some new standards, which have not usage with other graphic cards. So programming for CGX/P96 environment you can use it with any card with proper driver including SAGA, programming for SAGA is only useful for SAGA. That's why I was calling it "forcing standards". No one mention that he/they would use brute force (yet ) from Your example.

So in simply words: He/they is/are trying to do new hardware standard without "stable" (i.e. not changing) hardware. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but Toni said it as one of main reasons why WinUAE doesn't support it because it might completely change in future.

Page generated in 0.04382 seconds with 11 queries