View Single Post
Old 29 May 2021, 20:13   #1
Velociraptor5

SFS System - Icon filenames longer than 25 characters - saving problem

Hi,
my problem is about filenames longer than 25 characters in SFS system.
I use Classic P96 Workbench (instaled WB 3.1), all is on HDF disk with SFS system, and all is running under WinUAE.

As we know, SFS system enables to work with the filenames longer than 25 characters (up to 95).

Here is quick FFS/SFS filename lenghts overview/comparation:
-Fast File System (FFS) - 25 (+5 reserved for ".info" files)
-Smart File System (SFS) - 95 (+5 reserved for ".info" files)

If I work with files (or folders) long 25 or less characters, I have absolutely no problem in any case.

If I try to work with files (or folders) longer than 25 characters, so I can display them correctly, copy them, move them and run the games without problems.

BUT....
here is a big problems with icons, a few examples now..

-impossibility to create an icon (Folder icon is a good example), if the filename is longer than 25 characters. The folder is created, the folder icon isn't. Tested in Directory Opus and also in WB enviroment, the same result.

-you can take any working icon (folder icon for an example) with 25 or less characters and rename it to more than 25 characters, that's not a problem. The problem is, that now you can't save anything to this icon like "window size" or "window position".

-you can take any working icon (perfect example is project icon of some WHDLoad game) with 25 or less characters and rename it to more than 25 characters, that's also not a problem. The problem is, that now you can't save anything to this icon like "Tool Types" if you want to change them.

-I also tried to create an icon (Folder icon is again a good example), if the filename is longer than 25 characters on RAM Disk, but the same problem like anywhere else, the folder is created, the folder icon isn't.

Does anybody know, what is all about? Does it have a solution? Or it is some system restriction. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the file systems (FFS/SFS...), but just my opinion...
By the way I tried before time also PFS system, but absolutely the same problem.

Any idea, why and how?

Thanks

Page generated in 0.04373 seconds with 11 queries