View Single Post
Old 19 May 2021, 06:59   #11
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by numanuk1984 View Post
Does amiga explorer require the null modem cable to have pins 1 and 6 (db9f) and pins 6 and 8 (db25f) to be connected together in order to work correctly? I ordered a serial transfer cable and those pins are not connected together as per the wiring diagram provided by the documentation. Everything else seems to be in order when i tested with a multimeter.

When I try to get Amiga explorer onto the amiga it fails about halfway through on the RX RAM:Setup.rexx step.
Try my amigaXfer tool.

All you need for amigaXfer is the Amiga you already have, and a cable with GND connected together, and RX on each end connected to TX on the other end. The rest of the wires are ignored, so your cable is most likely fine as it is.

It is free, open source and much easier to setup, as it does not require installing anything on the Amiga side. It is also dramatically faster.

The "setup" is as easy as booting with no startup-sequence (reboot and hold two mouse buttons for the boot menu to appear, then advanced options --> startup-sequence disabled, use, DF0)

Then type "loadwb -debug". If a dialog appears e.g. complaining about ENV: just click cancel. Then click anywhere in the workbench window to make the window active, then select romwack @ right mouse button menu on the workbench.

That's literally all you need to do. And you can then read/write files and floppies comfortably from the amigaXfer GUI on the other side of the cable.

Thus you can copy over files and floppies as you wish, including the files Amiga Explorer needs, so that you can try that tool if you really want to.

Quote:
Cool, i'll have to try that baud rate myself, it takes about 10-12 mins to send an adf file over the recommended baudrate.
It takes 106s to transfer, write and verify a floppy on amigaXfer, on my A1200, at 512kbit/s. Around 120s on my A500. Make that 3 minutes if for some reason you're limited to 115200 (e.g. due to a long cable or by using a pc's serial port instead of a more capable usb-serial adapter).

Amiga's serial port is really fast, and the most basic Amiga with the standard 68000 7MHz cpu can handle these speeds.

Cheers.

Last edited by admiral; 19 May 2021 at 07:32. Reason: better instructions

Page generated in 0.08190 seconds with 11 queries