View Single Post
Old 04 January 2023, 15:59   #1000
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I'll meet you halfway there. A tray filled with floppies would indeed remind me of the Amiga. Mine didn't have a harddrive, so floppies were my life.

The moment I switched to PCs floppies were still a thing especially prior to cd burners but it was more CDROMs and harddrive installations from then on.

CDROMs would then remind of the PC... and not as positively as floppies make me think back to the Amiga. CDROMs meant scratches, dirt, reading errors in the worst moments, a lot of aggravation. Of course a floppy disc could break as well but I did not lose nearly as much software due to a floppy than I did due to a CD.
For me is the other way around. I prefer CD/DVDs to floppies and once I got CD burner for Amiga, I've started backing up anything that stays on the hard drive. When I see CD or DVD, I think of the Amiga, because my Amiga's have CD drives.

Optical media is much more reliable for me, than floppies. I have some 20 years old CDs that I open and read from them without any trouble. Recently tried some floppies, only to find they don't work anymore. I am glad that my floppy era ended around early 2000s and I never look back at floppies. Today I use Gotek and SD2IEC as floppy replacements and I am glad that I don't need to hear the sound of rotating floppy disk in the drive.

Page generated in 0.04236 seconds with 11 queries