Thread: Scorpion Engine
View Single Post
Old 27 June 2022, 16:13   #2244
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNarwhal View Post
Some nice new features to use for my future games. Only glitch I noticed is after the splash screen it briefly shows ugly vertical lines.

If I update Duckstroma I'll have to use 2022.4 though, as I lose 30KB using parallax on the title screen.
I think that glitch is related to the new background/parallax swapping feature.. I'll fix it for sure before making 2022.5 public.

Part of the reason I was hesitant to add it at all is because I knew there'd be an additional overhead with the preallocated memory, in order to allow the developer to (potentially) use the largest parallax background on the level that uses the most memory. Those used to be counted together, so you might have had your largest parallax file on your smallest level and ended up with small memory footprint overall, but now they're not.

What I'm thinking of doing is adding a "memory unsafe" mode that doesn't allocate memory up front for things that get loaded and unloaded, and deallocates memory when levels/backgrounds/panels/music etc are unloaded.

This'll make it much easier to fit games into less memory, but also puts additional overhead on the developer to make sure that (for example) a player won't spend several hours playing through the game on an A500 only for it to crash on the final boss because the final boss level has the largest music, level etc.

Page generated in 0.09453 seconds with 11 queries