View Single Post
Old 14 January 2021, 11:21   #1
Mixel

Floppy disk [WIP] Creeping Me Out!

Hello Amiga friends.

This is a thread for Creeping Me Out: Hex Night*.. It's in very early development but the important structural stuff is progressing well.

*pretty sure this is the final title, it's gone through so many. Makes sense to just call it CMO..

A platform game currently targeting (powerful) OCS Amigas that I'm making in Scorpion Engine (Thank you SO much Earok!)

It has a project page here.. (also has some more pictures, etc, I didn't want to make an unreadable post here!)

NOTE: Everything shown here is very subject to change.

The blue barge, where the story starts..

The status bar is unlikely to look like this in the final version.

Looks like you're going to have to go through the sewers!

That's not looking good!

Mandatory jumping fish. (I also have drips and rats, and I'm in the process of adding snails and bats. And zombies, and slime monsters, centipedes, ghosts, frogs, etc!)

Anyway.. I'll post occasional updates here if there's interest.. There's something of a speculative FAQ on the project page but anticipating a couple of those questions here..

What's the gameplay like?
The platforming handling is very similar to Turrican's. The initial hand to hand combat is like SOTB (low kicks and high punches) - but there's a lot more combat stuff left to be implemented for later in the game.

What are the levels like?
The levels are complex. I’m leaning into exploration in a big way. There are also smaller, “hand drawn” story levels that serve as cutscenes, hub areas, etc. (like the bar above) branching paths, a world map (just starting to implement that now.) etc. A typical level will involve some exploration, often a key to unlock a door, and tons of hidden things.

Why "powerful" OCS systems
I'm making it in EHB currently, which is demanding, and potentially stupid, but for the people with fast machines (and emulators) it's something unique(?) I have tentative plans to build it in this form, then further optimise, reduce colour count, basically make a low spec version - if it doesn't lose too much of its personality in the process. Currently it emulates nicely at A3000 levels and runs well on my A1200/030 but that doesn't say much, as right now a lot of the later mechanics haven't been put in yet. So, target hardware is.. Who knows! (Right now I'm aiming for '020 + any amount of fast ram) - it technically runs on any amiga with 2MB but I wouldn't recommend it! Oh and it's definitely going to be HDD/CD only, it's going to be big.

When can I play this?
Not sure. I'm concentrating on making enough for a "prologue" short game/demo. That part I'd like to complete in 1st quarter '21. Then, whatever happens there will at least be a short game for the Amiga community to play. Hopefully this demo version will fit on a single floppy.

Always open to feedback and happy new year everyone.

Page generated in 0.10737 seconds with 11 queries