View Single Post
Old 25 November 2015, 22:59   #62
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

This is the MegaDrive pinout:

The difference for the Master System pinout is that pin 5 on SMS is not used (some say there's a +5V line up there too, others say it doesn't, I think it doesn't). On the Atari, the +5V is on pinout 7. 7 is not used for SMS, but it's the "select" pin on Mega-Drive (Which makes possible for the hardware to know when it's either A or C and when it's either B or Start being pressed).

I am pretty sure you can directly solder a Male DB9 to a Female DB9 without soldering pins 5 and 7, and you have a Mega-Drive to Amiga/SMS adapter.

Pin 5 is used as a third button on Atari 2600 (It's one of the Paddle buttons), and I heard you can use it on Amiga too, it's the pin for the 3rd button mouse. I even heard Flashback supports it, but I've never really seen it. For years people said this +5V line is dangerous for Amiga, because the hardware is not ready to receive it, but no one ever reported any problems with it, and then I read people claiming it's ok because it's ready for the 3rd mouse button.

I have one Mega-Drive pad with some of the wires broken from the DB connector that I have to fix ... I'll see if I can do it this week, but not solder either pins 5 and 7, and see if it works like a Master System pad (I'll test it on my Master System - it has to work with Wonderboy in Monster Land), and then I'll test it on the A600 with WHDLoad to see if those games work with 2 button.

If they do, it's really easy to either mod the pads or just build an adapter.

EDIT: On the pinout image, Button 1 = B and Start, Button 2 = A and C.

Last edited by Shatterhand; 25 November 2015 at 23:17.

Page generated in 0.05358 seconds with 11 queries