View Single Post
Old 17 April 2018, 16:39   #3
Pollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by betajaen View Post
Hello,

My Miggy has been crashing/freezing recently, usually when I'm streaming. It started with the Monkey Island games, which I thought was down to a OCS/Blizzard or Workbench 3.9 incompatibility. It then started freezing in Workbench, which concluded it was a hardware problem, and not a software one.

After some trial and error, I found the Amiga was over heating. So with some better internal cable management and raising the Amiga off the desk. The problem solved it self. I would like to make it more permanent though.

Anyway, I have a Blizzard Mk-III which runs super hot. To hot to touch. The trapdoor is off. Would it be beneficial to add a heat sink to it?

Additionally; I have an Indivision Mk-II which I'm sure is the culprit for the heat/crashing. I've found some pictures online of fitting a small 40mm fan to one. I would also like to add a heat sink to Alice, which is a problem due to the amount of space available.

I bought some heat-sink/fan kits for the raspberry pi from ebay, they seem small and cheap enough to experiment with.

If anyone has done this before, or has any advice - or 'DON'T DO IT'. I'm all ears!

Cheers,

Robin
Hi Robin

the 68030 has a thermal limit of 70 degrees (in ceramic) that's way hotter than you can comfortably touch. The 030 on one of my ACA cards has a small heatsink on it, taken from a Southbridge on a dead motherboard, and it worked quite well, although you will need something only a few mm high, or put the Amiga on stilts.

As for your random crashing, you are very probably right when you say the Indivision MK2 is causing your instabilities. I dont use one myself, still using SCART and a 1084, but i have had friends use them, and have the same issues, they where solved the means of a small RAM heatsink put ontop with a little fan, from a floppy splitter cable. it did indeed help with stability and artifacts etc.

Page generated in 0.04562 seconds with 11 queries