View Single Post
Old 19 June 2022, 02:17   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'fr'sh View Post
Bonjour.

As per the title - I only use my Amiga for Octamed and Audiomaster IV bizznezz. I've had a 500+ recently before I realised sharpish that I defo need a hard drive, and so have a 600 coming to me this week. Obvs it's gonna have 2mb Chip RAM but...will adding Fast RAM be of much benefit to me for my purposes? I've looked into it on the many posts on here and elsewhere but still don't feel clear on the subject, being an Amiga n00b, and haven't seen owt on it with specific regard to music production.

So, in terms I'll understand, lol, will I get much benefit from dropping £50 on a Fast RAM card? Will it free up some chip RAM, since the CPU can use the Fast RAM (so less of the Chip?)? How much extra Chip RAM if so, roughly, d'ya reckon? (On the 500+, without any samples loaded, I have about 1.6mb of chip left with Octamed open and idle). Will it also make loading and saving times noticeably faster?

I'll probs occasionally want to use the PCMCIA card slot, so, to save mucking about with jumpers to swap between the 4/8mb Fast RAM available every time I do, like most boards seem to have, I was gonna get one of the ones that's a flat 5.5mb - more than 4 but the PCMCIA can still be used without fuss, so it's Hovis Best Of Both.

Just want to weigh up if it'll be worth dropping the extra cash, in these necessarily frugal times.

Big ups in advance.

Geoffo
A600 comes with 1meg chip ram standard not 2 unless someone has added it.

The main benefit of slow/fast ram on an A600 for the stuff you are doing is more available chip ram for storing samples which is the memory they must be played in unless you have coded routines to copy from fast ram on demand to a small chip ram buffer.

Audiomaster and Octamed program code should automatically reside in fast mem, as will AmigaDOS system libraries, so more available chip ram for samples.

Page generated in 0.04334 seconds with 11 queries