View Single Post
Old 03 September 2013, 23:51   #12
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Having watched [ Show youtube player ] (last 3 levels plus final boss) of the arcade game, I would do the following.

1. Would you go for 32 colours/half-brite/dual playfield mode?

Dual playfield - background plane for background only, foreground for foreground graphics, scoreboard and all enemies.

2. What memory requirements do you think you could achieve?

With some form of compression (I would say PNG but that wasn't created until 1996 and I'm not sure how legal, or how well known, Huffman compression would have been to use in the 1980's) hopefully 512K, with 1 Meg maximum.

3. What would you use the 8 sprites for?

2 sprites for the main character and some of the others for his weaponry.
Not sure what any spares could be used for.

4. Would you drop the parallax layer or make it smaller?

Shouldn't be a problem when using dual playfields.

5. Do you think you could make a version of the game running at 50 frames per second or you'd go for 25 (or perhaps 25 for updating everything but smooth scrolling the screen at 50fps to fake it)

25 fps would be the target, though few games had that as standard, with such lushous graphics, until the early 90's.

6. How would you handle the water animation? Would you use colour cycling?

It would be easy to implement and although it could be done with 2 colours, I think using 3 colours would give a much better and worthwhile effect.

7. Would you double, triple or even single buffer the screen?

The foreground screen would be double buffered, because there is no way to blit all the creatures onscreen without it - the last few levels have 7 or 8 bad guys onscreen at a time. I would be against removing enemies from the game. Some appear to be fixed (e.g ones on the trees) and one time only, whilst enemies on the ground appear to be random.

Now I await remarks from others and what the pro's would do.

Page generated in 0.04349 seconds with 11 queries